Is it possible to ferment to long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

argodzilla

Reaction score
So I have a brown that I just racked from primary to secondary after 2 weeks in primary. I am going to leave it in secondary for a week and bottle next Saturday. If I decided to leave it for an additional week in secondary..the beer will be a month old. Is there a risk that too much yeast will flocculate out and there won't be enough left in suspension to carb the beer?

some of us leav e our beers in primary for a month or more, on purpose, skipping secondary and opting for a long primary instead.. Remember, your beer isn't FERMENTING that long. A beer will only ferment til the yeast eats all the sugars. After that the beer is conditioning.

So no there's no such thing as "fermenting too long" because a beer only ferments as long as it needs to.

I'm actually bottling a moose drool brown ale clone today that I had in the primary for 2 weeks and the secondary for 2 weeks.

I could've just kept it in the primary the whole time but I needed to free up my bucket for bottling another brew.

I figure it could benefit with the 2 weeks in the secondary to help it mellow out in bulk. Not sure if it needed the 2 weeks, but figure it couldn't hurt either...

Latest posts

Back