Sankey Keg Cleaning Schematic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WesP

Reaction score
So I decided to get into some serious kegging with my latest purchase of six Sankey 1/4 BBL tall kegs. Since I don't want to deal with pulling out the spears every time I want to clean them, I'm building a cleaning station to make my life a lot easier.

I wanted to get some feedback on my schematic for a sankey keg cleaning station that i'm planning on building in the next few weeks. It's a manual system which allows for 2 cleaning agents such as a caustic and sanitizer.

Let me know your thoughts!

-Wes

keg_washer_filler.jpg

It looks alot like the one at the pub I work at, except I am not so sure about recycling caustic and sanitizer through the same line, they neutralize each other. You probably will be ok as long as you keep the lines short as possible.

Wow, in my head I have the full size of this build taking up my entire basement and swmbo coming downstairs and just flipping out.
So my question is, how big is this rig going to be?

Looks great!

Are you filling in the inverted position shown? If so, I would recommend turning it upright so the beer is not splashing up through the spear.

The sanitizer/caustic issue is not a big deal, I think. The first bit of volume going through of either will be neutralized but a fair bit going through after that should be fine. Almost like the first bit of solution is rinsing the lines. It may reduce effectiveness but I don't think it would be anything major.

It looks alot like the one at the pub I work at, except I am not so sure about recycling caustic and sanitizer through the same line, they neutralize each other. You probably will be ok as long as you keep the lines short as possible.

There should be an h2o wash between cycles so they should not mix. The only time I can see the caustic and sanitizer mixing when they hit the pump. I was thinking about also putting a valve at the pump to allow an h2o flush through the pump. I'm not sure how good it would be having cleaner sit in the stainless steel pump.

I was also thinking about putting a check valve after the pump so the cleaners don't run up the lines.

Looks great!

Are you filling in the inverted position shown? If so, I would recommend turning it upright so the beer is not splashing up through the spear.

The sanitizer/caustic issue is not a big deal, I think. The first bit of volume going through of either will be neutralized but a fair bit going through after that should be fine. Almost like the first bit of solution is rinsing the lines. It may reduce effectiveness but I don't think it would be anything major.

I'd be turning the keg right-side up but would wold require putting a lot of extra slack in the line. I think I might remove the beer filling valve. It might be easier just filling right at the fermenter.

Wow, in my head I have the full size of this build taking up my entire basement and swmbo coming downstairs and just flipping out.
So my question is, how big is this rig going to be?

Here is my main parts list. The rest I can get at home depot.

60 X 30 Steel Top Workbench Adjustable Height
Open Leg Work Bench | Adjustable Height | 60 X 30 Steel Top Workbench Adjustable Height | 183152 - GlobalIndustrial.com

Stainless Steel Centrifugal Pump - 3" Impeller, 1/3HP, 1Ph TEFC Motor
Waste & Water Pumps | Centrifugal Pumps | Stainless Steel Centrifugal Pump - 3" Impeller, 1/3HP, 1Ph TEFC Motor | B215241 - GlobalIndustrial.com

Braid Reinforced PVC Tubing, 1/2" 25' Length
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FMUKQW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Polaris Sinks D2233 Degree Double Bowl Utility Sink- Stainless Steel
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003V0IFDU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I'm going to build a base in the center of the workbench to install the sinks then put stainless steel covers over them with a hinge. If it turns out great, I might end up automating the entire process using the arduino micro-controller.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back