Sanitizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If I use star San sanitizer to clean my bottles after I rinse with the star San do I need to rinse with water ?

If I use star San sanitizer to clean my bottles after I rinse with the star San do I need to rinse with water ?

No, in fact, do not rinse with water. Star-San is not going to cause any problems for you.

Now, there's another issue. Star-San isn't a cleaner. It's a sanitizer. You need to use something for cleaning (PBW, for instance), and then after rinsing that out, sanitize using Star-San.

When I bottle off my keezer, I rinse the interior of the bottles with Star-san. I let them drain for a minute, then put beer in them.

If you're worried about Star-San screwing up the beer, do this: take a sip of Star-san. You'll find that it doesn't taste like....well...anything.

There are some stories around this site about people who have had a quart or so of Starsan sucked back into their fermenters during cold-crash and yet their beers turned out fine.

Think about that. Five percent Starsan and yet they couldn't even taste it.

It's called a "no-rinse" sanitizer for good reason. Rinsing it out defeats its purpose. A little bit of Starsan left in your bottles won't be noticeable.

Don't fear the foam!

Do not clean with Starsan. It is a sanitizer and not a cleaner. You want a clean utensil that is then sanitized. Wet with Starsan and wait a little more than one minute. It is no rinse and although the directions say let it dry, I believe that is for food prep. Do not let it dry.

Turn up any vessel, let the Starsan drip out. Any left is good, no concern.

N

Now, there's another issue. Star-San isn't a cleaner. It's a sanitizer. You need to use something for cleaning (PBW, for instance), and then after rinsing that out, sanitize using Star-San.

That's what I do too. Fill the keg with warm water and PBW, put the dip tube back in and give it a good shake, let it stand 20-30 mins then scrub the inside with a long brush, shake it up again then empty and rinse well 2-3 times to get all the PBW out. Then fill with water+star san solution, let it sit 10 mins then empty it and leave it sitting upside down so it drains out, then you're ready to go!

DO NOT clean your equipment with star san brother. Use PBW to clean. Its a little expensive, but its the best. Ive never used star san before, ( i use iodophor) but from what ive read star san is a really good sanitizer too. Hope this helps brother.

Latest posts

Back