Sanitized wash rag infection ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alcoholica

Reaction score
I had a blow over in a carboy and my wife removed the airlock and put tin foil over it. Like I told her over the phone. She rinsed off the bung and manages to get it in part way. But it left a lot a lot of Krausen around the mouth of the carboy. It was good to come home and see I lost less than a quart I know now I should’ve just shoved the clean bung right through it. Didn’t seem safe though. Soooo

I had a rag sitting in sanitizer for quite some time and cleaned the inside mouth of the carboy carefully. I hope man I hope I don’t loose this very heavy expensive batch.

So just wondering if anyone has tried this before with any luck. Or not ?

It seemed the lesser of two evils for me. Anyways thanks for any input.

Assuming you didn't use the rag/sanitizer for washing the floor, or any other area, before using it to clean the carboy, you should be fine.

Thanks for the responses. It helps ease my mind . Tuesday night will make a week.

It’s a bubble every 5 seconds on an airlock now and smells pretty good. I know what to do next time I do a wheat beer high in sugars. Maybe I’ll check back and post the final result for someone else if they try the same . Thanks.

Last edited:
This is funny because I just had a kolsch go into a crazy fermentation. Krausen came all the way up into the air lock. I had to pour some out to give it a little room. Never had it happen . I hope it's ok cuz I basically did the same thing lol.

This is funny because I just had a kolsch go into a crazy fermentation. Krausen came all the way up into the air lock. I had to pour some out to give it a little room. Never had it happen . I hope it's ok cuz I basically did the same thing lol.

Not that it caused an issue but at that point of would've pulled the airlock off and installed a blow off tube.

I definitely need to get one
I do plumbing. And a piece of 3/8 pex fit perfectly into the bung cap that has the permade hole
https://instagram.com/p/Bsd91ZBgEhM/
So far so good I just bottled it up. Smells and taste good. All but I put double the Eldorado hops and it taste like I added coriander . Hoping that will mellow the next couple of weeks. But no infection.

We just have to remember to only do 4 gallon or use a 6 to 10 gallon carboy I suppose. I may even use a couple old mr beer kegs next time. And absolutely use a blow off tube the first 3 days. Lol. Let it simmer before trusting an airlock I guess.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back