What do you dislike about summer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
All the lighter beer styles. I can only take so much. I love the dark beers. Every now and then maybe a pale ale, belgian white and such. But my selection is quit depleted til' mid Sept. Or so. And living in Hellnix, Fz for seven years pretty much killed summers for me as well. Longer days. Come on! Really?

Only that it ends....... Done teaching in a week or two - then I have 10 weeks of being a "full time brewer":) Basement stays in the low 60's in the summer - perfect for fermenting ales. I love German Lagers - Pilsner, Helles, Dortmunder and have several kegs ready to tap. APA's, IPA's - love em. Can't wait to get doing some yardwork, sitting on my deck, reading, drinking some brew...... yeah, pretty much nothing I dislike about summer. Sorry I couldn't help:)

Although, I do love me some porters and brown ales..... So I like the arrival of fall as well!

I'm not a fan of the summer, only because I hate the heat. And brewing in the summer is a pain. My chest freezers have to work overtime when it's 90 and humid. I brew lagers, so I try to get all my brews done by end of June. I don't like brewing in July and August.

I dislike nothing about summer. Work slows down, days get longer, days get nicer, beer tastes colder, food gets grillier.:rockin: Summer rocks in Maine.

Summer in New Orleans is hot and sweaty as balls, and F*** the mosquitoes! But I like the longer the days (it doesn't get dark until 8 p.m.), women's summer attire in general, the running of the bulls in July, the fishing, the beach, and work slows down. So way more good than bad I guess.

Summer is pretty much hell on earth in houston.
Heat
Humidity
Bugs
Electricity bill
Hurricanes
85 degree tap water on the cold side

I'll take the middle of January any day over may-october

Depends, I live in Golden and summers are awesome! I work waaay north in Alaska and summers are dreadful(Mosquitos)

I like and dont like that Im not brewing in the summer. I do like my carboy that will be occupying a mead in the time being.:D . I hate humidity,wind,and bugs,and hot sunny car windows.And probably not brewing,but I need a break anyway. I like thunderstorms,not tornadoes. Cant stand loud beligerant drunk unstable/unpredictable young people in the summer either. Just to name a few.

I dislike the overtime at my job. summer is the busiest time of year for us and also when everyone wants to take vacation. it is brutal to be there with 4 hours overtime and not seeing the sun for more than an hour of the day.

I hate the sweating, I can be outside standing still but I end up drenched.

I hear you.
After summer brew day and standing by the boiling kettle I end up like I was in swimming pool... gotta get a air conditioner in my basement.

I hate mowing the lawn when it's Hot and humid...but I do love the beer when I'm done. Of course I could pave my whole yard and not mow, yet still enjoy a nice brew.

Well, I live in SoCal, so we have 6 months of summer and 6 months of something approaching what the rest of you call fall or spring. No winter.

That said, we actually have low humidity and no mosquitoes in the summer too, so even when it's 90 degrees out, it feels fine.

I don't like imperial stouts anyway, so year-round drinking of saison, pale, IPA, kolsch, pilsner, etc is just perfect for me.

It's tough to put down a Berliner Wiesse in the frigid 55 degree days of January though...

In Montana, summer is too short! I've seen 2 feet of snow break all the branches off of trees in mid July. I'm concerned even right now for my garden because I don't want frost to kill the pepper plants that I started indoors over a month ago. Summer time is short lived here. That said, I've also lived in both Las Vegas and Seattle, pretty much every extreme, and I haven't noticed the seasons having any affect on my taste in beer. I'm happy drinking any style anytime.

Summer is pretty much hell on earth in houston.
Heat
Humidity
Bugs
Electricity bill
Hurricanes
85 degree tap water on the cold side

I'll take the middle of January any day over may-october

+1. Florida isn't much better, although I do get a sea breeze sometimes.

Heat and ticks...

Our AC is broken in our condo and our landlord is essentially a deadbeat.. (Even at the extraordinary high price we pay for where we live)

And ive got a 9month old Bernese Mountain Dog puppy who loves the woods. But it is impossible to find ticks on him until theyve already bitten him...and its not always easy finding them and removing them even after that...

Oh and to keep it beer related...i dislike the judging glares i get when ordering a RIS when its 90+ degrees out

Bugs only. I'm in Michigan and our summer is too short in my opinion. The west side of the country sees way more sunshine than we ever will (it's usually gray here). I love the deck and summer wheat and IIPA and anything cold and beery really. And Michigan has it. I don't like standing over my burners though during a full boil adding hops when it's 90 out.

Hate the heat and humidity, though I now live and work closer to the shore now so the sea breezes help. Hot and dry is marginally better comfort-wise, but then the garden suffers.

Being denied access to my backyard at dusk due to the effing mosquitos here in SE Mass. is a real PITA. Lots of lakes and ponds in the area and the mosquitos do quite well. They usually do night aerial spraying for mosquitos later in the summer when EEE starts to pop up, another reason not to go outside.

Those first crisp, cool days of fall are heaven though after a sticky hot buggy summer. I think of summer as the price of admission to fall.

Warmer tap water.
Warmer air temperatures.
Back sweat.
Swamp ass.

Other than that I like summer.

Love the summer! pools, ocean, girls in skimpy clothing, having a automatic excuse to brew an drink outside while I BBQ, and taking the motorcycle out.

New England is beautiful, all year round. But it's nice when summer comes around.

Ahh summer, here in Kelowna BC Canuckland it doesn't get dark until after 10pm in June and the summer is hot and dry like a desert. But there's a nice cold lake to cool off. The thing I hate about it is the forest fires, I'm pretty sick of getting smoked out every time there's a big dry spell of blistering dry heat which seems to be every year

northern ontario is the bugs!! skitters, black flies, and horse flies. until August it's a tough go to be outdoors. especially if you live in the country like i do.

I hate mowing the lawn when it's Hot and humid...but I do love the beer when I'm done. Of course I could pave my whole yard and not mow, yet still enjoy a nice brew.

+1

I absolutely HATE mowing the lawn! I love those midsummer dry spells when the lack of rain means i can skip a week or two. I also hate heat and humidity. We had two days in the high 80's this past week and I'm already counting the weeks till Autumn!

Heat
Humidity
Yard work
Heat
Humidity
Bugs
Heat
Humidity

I love the fall and spring when temps are in the 50's to low 70's. I can tolerate the mild winters here since temps are in the 20's to 50's but I prefer it to be on the warmer end of that range. If the temps are above the mid 80's and the humidity is north of 50% all I want to do is sit in a chair by an AC vent.

I LOVE the summer. Favorite time of year by far. We don't have winter here unless you count a month of rain and fog and 50 degree highs. The humidity is low so 102* doesn't feel that bad at all. Since it doesn't rain there isn't much standing water so bugs are few and far between. If I had to move back east again I don't know how I'd handle it.

High temps 115+
Overnight lows in the 90s
Other peoples kids out of school, not knowing how to drive, and attempting it anyway.

I love summer. Chicks walking around with barely anything on... well that just about trumps all the heat, humidity, bugs, and rain.

I brew no matter what. It's going to be in the high 80's to 90 this weekend. I'm brewing 3 beers. To hell with the heat!

Latest posts

Back