.....Bubbles away

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Komodo_brewer

Reaction score
So I recently completed my first home brew batch, pitched the yeast and waited.....

I began to notice bubbles appear around the 10 hour mark. By the time 12 hours from when yeast was pitched....the airlock was bubbling away.

On second day, there was less CO2 being released from yeast activity. On day three.....there is no visible bubbling taking place.

Do I assume that fermentation is still taking place and leave it along for at least 10 days before I start taking SG readings to confirm that fermentation is complete?

I have not seen a bubble come out of airlock lately. I know there is a good seal.

It's been 72 hours since yeast was pitched and 24 hours since any visible bubbling taking place from airlock.

Airlock activity is not a good indication of fermentation

I have been sanitizing a hydrometer and placing it directly in the wort... Now when i want to check gravity readings i simply pop the top take a look then cover... And then get on with my day

I know an absences of airlock activity is NOT an indication of fermemntation completed.....but how Mandy's could I expect to see bubbles taking place....2, 3....or more days?

I know that the method is taking a reading which I will at day 10. I am only concern with a stuck fermentation

I know an absences of airlock activity is NOT an indication of fermemntation completed.....but how Mandy's could I expect to see bubbles taking place....2, 3....or more days?

I know that the method is taking a reading which I will at day 10. I am only concern with a stuck fermentation

If you pitched the right amount of yeast and didn't disturb the fermenter you are very unlikely to have a stuck ferment. Here's a bit of information about what is going on in your fermenter and why you aren't seeing bubbles.

http://www.brewgeeks.com/the-life-cycle-of-yeast.html

I wouldn't even sample at day 10. Perhaps on day 14 or maybe not until day 20. It doesn't hurt a bit to go longer in the fermenter as the yeast then have time to clean up any byproducts and the beer will start maturing. The beer can mature in the bottle but in my experience it will take longer.

Thanks for the link. Lots of great reading.

I just assumed that the fermentation takes several days and that I can expect airlock activities during that entire time since I have a pretty tight lid seal. Instead I get about a day's worth. Now it's all quiet.

I plan on checking it at 14 days with hydrometer reading

When the rapid airlock bubbling slows or stops,it's just done with initial fermentation. It'll then slowly,uneventfully creep down to FG from there. Then give it another 3-7 days to clean up fermentation by products & settle out clear or slightly misty. Then package it.

Back