I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hubby flippin' out a little tonight, woke me up in the middle of the night. He is making brownies and can't find the 1/4 cup measuring cup or the bleach. I found for him the 1/4 cup, same place it always is, but didn't tell him where the bleach was. At least he's not making green jello for me and asking what happened to the anti-freeze.

Hubby flippin' out a little tonight, woke me up in the middle of the night. He is making brownies and can't find the 1/4 cup measuring cup or the bleach. I found for him the 1/4 cup, same place it always is, but didn't tell him where the bleach was. At least he's not making green jello for me and asking what happened to the anti-freeze.
Um, yeah I'd hide the rat poison too...

Hubby witnessed first hand tonight me with my favorite chicken. He(the chicken) likes to sit on my lap and be petted. My dog hates him, absolutely hates him to the point that he wants to eat him. I am assuming it's a rooster because it's growing some huge ugly stuff on his head. Sometimes I get chills thinking about how ugly he is and other times, I like the way he follows me around and cries when I won't pick him up.

Hubby just shook his head, didn't know what to say.

I'm seeing BobbiLynn followed by the little chick followed by Number Thirty Two walking down the road together.

I'm seeing BobbiLynn followed by the little chick followed by Number Thirty Two walking down the road together.

Aww, my precious cow and my precious chicken. I wish they could have met. Now who started the rumor that we are crazy around here?

I think someone is trying to frame me, to make me look crazy. Now, that is not cool. I have to find a place to put my apple mint gruit and pitch the yeast. The kettle is a gallon short of being able to hold it. Did the no-chill thing again, because, heck, it's going to be chilled out by morning. Maybe then I can figure out where to put it to ferment. I have real dilemmas here,

Nope, I wouldn't do that. But if the little guy is reading HBT at night, he might have figured it out already.

Good point, he does like to type with me and peck at the keys, possible he is understanding more than I realize. :mad: Damn chicken, he is so smart. Did I tell you about how he almost picked the lock the other night? He wants to move into the house and get my dog kicked out. It's a rivalry.

Man I'm beat.. Doing a huge new garden plot this year, it's about 1/3 of an acre. Tilled in 20 yards of compost and 250 lbs of dolomite today. I got totally nuked out there.

Man that is just to dang big for me. My idea of a happy garden is the produce isle in a store while my wife wants to have one big enough to dwarf yours.

I have been tilling for weeks now :mad: But we are going to end up much smaller :ban:

Varmintman said:
Man that is just to dang big for me. My idea of a happy garden is the produce isle in a store while my wife wants to have one big enough to dwarf yours.

I have been tilling for weeks now :mad: But we are going to end up much smaller :ban:

Hey man, sometimes you've gotta do what they want. You get the rough work done, and then it's up to her to do all the planting, weeding, and watering.

Yup my end is almost done. I figure one more pass and I will turn it over to her to deal with.

She has started all kinds of plants in the house. I guess I should not complain because I do enjoy fresh food and it keeps her happy

Why tilling for weeks? Doing it by hand with a hoe? I guess I am lucky that hubby collects old tractors. Plowing and disking only takes a short afternoon to do a big field. All together I've probably planted 2+ acres so far this year plus my container garden. Peas, green beans, lima beans, cucumbers, basil, oregano, chives, onions, hops, sorghum, bell peppers, jalapenos, moringa, turnip greens, mustard greens, potatoes, asparagus.... But we depend on our crops for income. The berries grow wild, can't wait to see how many we get this year. All the rain we've had, we should be overwhelmed by blackberries, 10-15 acres. Takes 20-30 minutes to pick a gallon. Some friends are going to help this year. Wondering how much to pay them. Been getting $25.00 a gallon for the berries in past years, more when sold by the pint. Maybe pay by the gallon for picking. Dang, I can't wait.

I walked to my neighbors house to give them more herbs. Gave them garlic chives this time. The wife is so proud of the oregano I brought them last week, or maybe it was 2 weeks ago. Almost 2 miles round trip. The 3 gallon pot of chives got heavy. They moved in maybe a year ago and had some problems at first. Hubby knows their landlord and it's a hostile situation. Sewage from this guys rentals was spilling onto our property. We forced him to get it fixed right away. Him and hubby already have bad history so made things worse. Anyway, I just want the new neighbors to know they are welcome around here. :) They are my closest neighbors in proximity, besides family. Had a nice visit then walked back home. It's the husband and wife, their 2 little girls, and the Mother who lives there. And they have 2 chihuahuas.

Why tilling for weeks? Doing it by hand with a hoe? I guess I am lucky that hubby collects old tractors. Plowing and disking only takes a short afternoon to do a big field. All together I've probably planted 2+ acres so far this year plus my container garden. Peas, green beans, lima beans, cucumbers, basil, oregano, chives, onions, hops, sorghum, bell peppers, jalapenos, moringa, turnip greens, mustard greens, potatoes, asparagus.... But we depend on our crops for income. The berries grow wild, can't wait to see how many we get this year. All the rain we've had, we should be overwhelmed by blackberries, 10-15 acres. Takes 20-30 minutes to pick a gallon. Some friends are going to help this year. Wondering how much to pay them. Been getting $25.00 a gallon for the berries in past years, more when sold by the pint. Maybe pay by the gallon for picking. Dang, I can't wait.

Well I had to reclaim the old garden spot. I had not planted anything last year so it was overgrown with grass and weeds. So I sprayed roundup let it work a bit and then started tilling. I figure I have tilled it 8 or ten times now trying to kill the weeds and break up the soil good again.

BobbiLynn said:
That's a lot of stuff Bobbi! Hey, you know what you should do is let people come and pick their own black berries, and charge them less.

All this talk of gardening reminds me that I need to train my hops here soon. With all the rain and flooding around here lately I haven't got around to it.

I decided that hop growing was something I'd leave to the pros. I've got my one nice centennial plant just so I can say that I do. I have no problem at all spending $200 a year on hops over all the effort of growing those things.

I'm much to anal retentive to brew with a hop that I don't have any idea what the AA level is.

For that reason I plan to use mine for IPA/IIPA's. Just for late hop additions and dry hopping only. I'll bitter with pellets.

The real reason I'm growing mine is because somebody told me I couldn't succeed at growing them in the hot & dry desert southwest. I took the challenge. Last years first year growth on a Cascade only yielded about an ounce, but they grew. This year I planted 8 varieties in better locations of my yard.

Every batch is an adventure for me, and creates new memories. I like to use my own hops. I've been brewing for over 2 years now and have learned there are so many variables in the process that tossing my own hops in adds intrigue not paranoia.

I decided that hop growing was something I'd leave to the pros. I've got my one nice centennial plant just so I can say that I do. I have no problem at all spending $200 a year on hops over all the effort of growing those things.

It's a labor of love for me. And all bragging aside, I think HG hops beat commercial hands down for freshness and aroma. 2-3 days from harvest to freezer is pretty hard to beat. Unless you're into pellets, in which case you kinda have to buy.

Mine will be more to say I have them than to really use them. I'm much to anal retentive to brew with a hop that I don't have any idea what the AA level is.

I thought so too at first. I even did the titration method a few times trying
to pin down an AA%, but after a few batches I realized that it's really not that big of a deal. I just ened up using my best estimate and adjusted my batches until I was happy with the bitterness. The crops change a little year to year, but not enough to really throw anything off. IBU's are kind of a mystical beast anyway from brewer to brewer, so as long as you're happy, that's all that really matters.

...so as long as you're happy, that's all that really matters.
Isn't that usually the case? :)

Since I have now opened my December batch of cider, I started another one today. I checked my notes from the August batch that was so good. I'm going to use a couple of the methods I used for that batch in this one to try to improve the cider. The December batch is just "meh".

I got some more skim milk to try the mozzarella experiment with. I'll probably do that tomorrow, though maybe not. I'm a little tired. If I get some energy back I might even do it tonight... I haven't really decided.

I forgot to turn my colby every day like I was supposed to. About 1/4 cup of cheese smelling water was on the bucket lid I've got it sitting on when I went to look at it today... Apparently I was also supposed to dry it before waxing too. Oh well. This should be educational anyway. That should be ready in just over two weeks.

I planted some trees that the idiot mail order plant company shipped to soon. Then the grapes, same idiot company. Setup some fairly ridiculous hose systems to get water out to everything. Have I mentioned that there is no functioning exterior water at my house? I have everything running off of hoses connected to the cold water faucet for my washer. It isn't pretty, but it works.

Bought a chainsaw. Tested the chainsaw, didn't cut anything just ran it for a minute to make sure it worked. Started the lawn mower to make sure it is still in working order.

Fixed a minor leak in the washer fluid bottle in my truck with a little metal HVAC tape. It's up fairly high on the neck of the bottle, so not really a big deal. I just want to slow down evaporation loss out of the hole, and/or leaking if I'm sitting at a really extreme angle.

Cleaned my trucks air filter, and MAF sensor. I've been getting a little bit of a rough idle and an occasional stall right after ignition. Since I just ran seafoam into the engine through the vacuum assist line for the brakes, and those are really the only times the truck pays attention to the MAF I'm hoping it's just a fouled sensor.

My air filter is drying in the garage, I'll oil it tomorrow I think. It's a little late now. Hard to tell if you've gotten the oil on it evenly in the dark.

Since it's brew day, :ban:

Isn't that usually the case? :)

Since I have now opened my December batch of cider, I started another one today. I checked my notes from the August batch that was so good. I'm going to use a couple of the methods I used for that batch in this one to try to improve the cider. The December batch is just "meh".

I got some more skim milk to try the mozzarella experiment with. I'll probably do that tomorrow, though maybe not. I'm a little tired. If I get some energy back I might even do it tonight... I haven't really decided.

I forgot to turn my colby every day like I was supposed to. About 1/4 cup of cheese smelling water was on the bucket lid I've got it sitting on when I went to look at it today... Apparently I was also supposed to dry it before waxing too. Oh well. This should be educational anyway. That should be ready in just over two weeks.

I planted some trees that the idiot mail order plant company shipped to soon. Then the grapes, same idiot company. Setup some fairly ridiculous hose systems to get water out to everything. Have I mentioned that there is no functioning exterior water at my house? I have everything running off of hoses connected to the cold water faucet for my washer. It isn't pretty, but it works.

Bought a chainsaw. Tested the chainsaw, didn't cut anything just ran it for a minute to make sure it worked. Started the lawn mower to make sure it is still in working order.

Fixed a minor leak in the washer fluid bottle in my truck with a little metal HVAC tape. It's up fairly high on the neck of the bottle, so not really a big deal. I just want to slow down evaporation loss out of the hole, and/or leaking if I'm sitting at a really extreme angle.

Cleaned my trucks air filter, and MAF sensor. I've been getting a little bit of a rough idle and an occasional stall right after ignition. Since I just ran seafoam into the engine through the vacuum assist line for the brakes, and those are really the only times the truck pays attention to the MAF I'm hoping it's just a fouled sensor.

My air filter is drying in the garage, I'll oil it tomorrow I think. It's a little late now. Hard to tell if you've gotten the oil on it evenly in the dark.

Since it's brew day, :ban:

Oh, wow, you have been busy. Happy brew day!

:ban:

Tomorrow is tree coming down day so today was moving concrete structures to get them out of the way. Concrete picnic table thing with benches, a bird feeder that I am using to grow herbs, chocolate mint will be ready to pick a nice batch soon, and a couple concrete sculptures. Used a dolly but still it was tough. Bird feeder thing was the worse, lifting up the tiers after toting it over piece by piece. It's very large but at least made in 4 separate pieces.

A friend called earlier and asked me to "go out". No, I'm too tired for that. She asked didn't I ever get bored living in the woods and hardly ever leaving the house. Um, no. The water moccasin in my garden today got my heart beating fast. Now those are poisonous. I was a good 15 feet away when I heard him hissing at me, he was saying, "Don't come any closer", so I just turned and went the other way. This is why you don't kill friendly snakes, snakes are territorial and if you have non-poisonous snakes, they will keep away the others. I'm not going to let hubby kill any more white oaks. I'm still upset about that. I should have killed the water moccasin so I could feed it to hubby when he was least expecting. All the venom is in it's mouth, not the body. Cut off his head and cook the rest.

Latest posts

Back