Adding fruit to beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

46andbrew

Reaction score
So the question I have is how to sanitize fruit when u add it to your secondary I guess. I'm assuming there is bacteria on or in fruit that I don't want in my beer.

I have done several fruit beers (Watermelon Wheat, Strawberry Kolsch, Blackberry Wheat). By the time the beer is fermented out and ready for secondary, there is usually enough alcohol to kill any bacteria. That being said, I still cut up and freeze my fruit as added insurance.

The exception is Watermelon. Since I just use the inside of the fruit I skip the freezing and just make sure anything I use on the melon is sanitized.

Cool thanks. Also what is the rule of thumb on how much to add per gallon of fruit

I've been averaging about 3 lbs per 5 gallon batch. I've read that some people use as much as 1 pound per gallon. On the Watermelon Wheat, I use 1/2 gallon of pureed fresh melon for a 5 gallon batch.

I'm going to make a mango beer. It's a 1gal batch Vienna malt light hops. Ive got fresh mangos,I was told to puree the fruit then freeze to kill bacteria. After fermentation is almost done rack onto 1-2 lbs of fruit depending on how much fruit flavor is wanted in the beer,and that was 1-2 lbs fruit per gallon. I just brewed it last Sat so in about a week I'll rack it to second for another week or 2 with the fruit. Anyways that is what I was told would work.

I'm doing a strawberry summer beer. I'm going to be adding 6 pounds of strawberries to a 5 gallon batch to get some nice strawberry kick

I'm doing a strawberry summer beer. I'm going to be adding 6 pounds of strawberries to a 5 gallon batch to get some nice strawberry kick

I'd add 8 lbs.. here's my recipe

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f75/succulent-strawberry-blonde-132423/

Some guys have added less than 8, and have later wished they had added more. My Wal-Mart sells frozen strawberries in 4 lb bags, I just buy two of those, rack onto the strawberries after fermentation, and let it set for about a week.

I'm going to rinse the raspberries or salmonberries for my next fruit beer in vodka. Anyone done this?

I'm going to rinse the raspberries or salmonberries for my next fruit beer in vodka. Anyone done this?

I've heard of some people doing that. I think freezing is the best alternative, personally. When you freeze the fruit, it causes the fruit to "explode" (can't find the word I'm looking for here) which really exposes more of the fruity goodness to the beer. No need to crush, or pulverize the fruit, the freezing action does it all for you! But, either way would work.

Bluelinebrewer said:
When you freeze the fruit, it causes the fruit to "explode" (can't find the word I'm looking for here) which really exposes more of the fruity goodness to the beer.

I think what your trying to say is when the fruit freezes. The ice crystals ruptured the cell walls of the fruit and bring out the flavor a bit more. I think

Theoretically the interior of a fruit should be relatively sterile,it's the surface that will be exposed to bacteria,fungus,and contaminant.

jsledd said:
I have done several fruit beers (Watermelon Wheat, Strawberry Kolsch, Blackberry Wheat). By the time the beer is fermented out and ready for secondary, there is usually enough alcohol to kill any bacteria. That being said, I still cut up and freeze my fruit as added insurance.

The exception is Watermelon. Since I just use the inside of the fruit I skip the freezing and just make sure anything I use on the melon is sanitized.

Way false. The alcohol in the beer is too low to kill bacteria, it just helps inhibit growth. Same with freezing. The formation of water crystals will burst cells of bacteria and kill them but not all of them, it will mearly weaken them and slow the growth.

So what is the proper way to add fruit to your beer. I just added 6 lbs of strawberries to a summer ale i did I froze them first. I'm hoping I don't get an infection

So what is the proper way to add fruit to your beer. I just added 6 lbs of strawberries to a summer ale i did I froze them first. I'm hoping I don't get an infection

I think you'll be fine. That's the way I've been doing it and, so far, I've not had any infections! I suppose if you wanna be super safe, you could soak them in vodka for a bit.

Specifically to strawberries, I would suggest against pasteurizing. I've done this multiple times and it ruins the beer. Hazy,almost cooked flavor. My personal preference is buy flash frozen (freezer section of the grocery) strawberries. Drop the bag(s) and scissors in sanitizer. Cut open the bag, drop into fermenter, rack on top. Cleaner, tastier strawberry flavor.

Thanks for the tips I recently added 6 lbs of fresh frozen strawberries to my summer ale racked on top of them in the secondary. It's currently sitting right now no visible signs of infection. I will post results in a few after some bottling conditioning

I just kegged up a red raspberry pilsner like ale last week. (Used a pilsner recipe, but pitched Nottingham ale yeast, did not lager)My process went like this. After the beer was fermented out , I added 4 lbs of frozen berries to the secondary. Racked beer on to them. Attached bung with airlock, and left at 65 deg for 10 days. Transfered to sanitized keg to carb up. Was pretty cloudy for the first week or so. Clearing up a bit more every day. Tastes
and smells great. Has a bit of a red tint to the head when poured. This is my first fruit addition, and I was worried about contamination too. But it all worked out for me. I'll do it the same way the next time I make a fruit beer.

ForumRunner_20130622_193421.jpg

A triumph. Just bottled my strawberry summer ale. My first fruit beer and I have to say amazing. My buddy bought some extract just incase there was not enough strawberry flavor. The extract sucks. We used 6 lbs of strawberries and what a natural flavor. Can't wait to try more fruit!

Here's my $0.02
I have made a few fruit beers, and, with the exception of one, always ferment the beer on the fruit. I add it (frozen, sometimes thawed out) after shutting off the heat, and let it steep for 10 or 15 minutes, then chill the wort, and strain it into the bucket with a big (sanitized) metal strainer. Secondary is then simply the usual 5-7 days to clear.
I read in a recipe book that fruit in secondary gives more aroma, but the two I did the most (4 cherry stouts and 5 watermelon lagers) gave the exact flavor I was going for, so I never made any adjustment.

Here's my $0.02
I have made a few fruit beers, and, with the exception of one, always ferment the beer on the fruit. I add it (frozen, sometimes thawed out) after shutting off the heat, and let it steep for 10 or 15 minutes, then chill the wort, and strain it into the bucket with a big (sanitized) metal strainer. Secondary is then simply the usual 5-7 days to clear.
I read in a recipe book that fruit in secondary gives more aroma, but the two I did the most (4 cherry stouts and 5 watermelon lagers) gave the exact flavor I was going for, so I never made any adjustment.

That's very interesting about just going direct to fermenting with the fruit instead of secondary. I will try this soon with a one gallon batch. I currently have a light ale I will rack to secondary onto mango. I would assume any beer racked onto fruit will also have an increased abv? Has adding the fruit to primary not affected the flavor in a dryness way?

I got the idea from papazian's first book - as well as the idea for cherry stout. I didn't do anything he did in his recipe, other than make a fruit beer fermented on the fruit.
I think it increases the ABV - 7# of cherries is a lot of juice. But I didn't have a way to measure how much, only the OG and FG.
For the stout, the cherry flavor was more in the aftertaste, and the head had a reddish tinge to it. The watermelon lagers were slightly pink and the taste was subtle, and noticeable enough to be pleasant and refreshing but not overpowering.

Have any of u guys used black berries. I'm thinking of doing a blackberry wheat just not sure what ratio I should use. I know certain fruits can be very acidic so.

I have a strawberry blonde fermenting now. I planned on using 5 lbs of strawberries to rack the beer on. Will that be enough?

On another note, could I use a keg as the secondary? I thought about putting the strawberries in a muslen bag and racking on top. Then sanitize a pair of long tongs to use to fish out the bag after a week.

I just bottled a strawberry summer ale. We used 6 lbs of fresh frozen strawberries and racked on top of them in the secondary. I came out amazing a great fresh strawberry flavor. I want to do a blackberry wheat I'm just not sure if 5 or 6 lbs is to much or not enough. I've heard blueberries are very acidic and to be careful when using them.

Back