1 Gallon Short

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLBrew

Reaction score
Like a beginner dummy, I didn't top off pale ale before fermenting. Now I'm a gallon short. Could I boil a gallon of water to remove the oxygen, cool it down and add to the bottling bucket to bring my volume up to 5 gallons like the kit intended?

is it already fermenting? if so, best to leave it like it is instead of watering it down. call it an ipa instead :D

It's not worth the risk of introducing oxygen or contaminating it at bottling, just let it go as is.

I'd add that you make sure to cut back appropriately on your priming sugar at bottling time. Adding 5 gal worth of sugar to 4 gal of beer might lead to some gushers or bottle bombs.

This is silly. You can certainly do that. Just use a gallon to mix your priming sugar at bottling. Let it cool a bit before you throw it in the sanitized bottling bucket and then rack on top of it.

tennesseean_87 said:
This is silly. You can certainly do that. Just use a gallon to mix your priming sugar at bottling. Let it cool a bit before you throw it in the sanitized bottling bucket and then rack on top of it.

Have you had experience doing this? I thought it would be ok. All the ingredients were for 5 gallons so it shouldn't seem watered down.

Are you worried about the lost volume or the effect on the beer?
When I was doing kits I would intentionally leave out the top up water because I only had 5g carboys. I always liked the outcome. Then again I'm a quality over quantity type of guy.
I say leave it be and call it an IPA.

Snisup said:
Are you worried about the lost volume or the effect on the beer?
When I was doing kits I would intentionally leave out the top up water because I only had 5g carboys. I always liked the outcome. Then again I'm a quality over quantity type of guy.
I say leave it be and call it an IPA.

I'm more concerned with quality. Didn't know if it was gonna be overly bitter. I guess I'll taste it during my last FG reading and decide then whether to add the gallon or not.

Snisup said:
Good idea. I'd give it a chance, at least.

I bottled last night. The taste was pretty good....slightly more bitter than I was looking for with this pale ale. I just boiled a half gallon of water withy the priming sugar.

Back