Making hop plugs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtn_Brewer

Reaction score
My hops are doing well and I was wondering about making hop plugs but have no idea how.

DIY or commercial plug maker?
How hard to press?
How long to press?
Press before or after drying?
Any other advice/experience/links appreciated.

IF you search, you'll find a couple other threads about making hop plugs here.

I believe they used a piece of PVC tube or similar and either compressed them by hand using leverage or pneumatically.

Don't exceed 12:1, because you'll be crushing lupulin glands at that point. But I would guess you would need to go at least 4:1 to get them to stick.

So GVH when you say do not exceed 12 to 1 are you talking a column of loose hops 12 inches high compressed down to one inch?

Thanks man. Been thinking about using a log splitter as a press and a tube that goes from say a couple inches at the beginning down to a 1/4 inch at the end so I can press a continual column out. Still trying to figure the finer points out like how to machine the inside of the tube but I am sure I will get it

OK, I'm just spouting off the top of my head without calcs or experience (we make pellets, not plugs)...I'm thinking you should maintain a uniform diameter through the compression.

This is total KISS (keep it simple stupid) design, but if you have a tube that is descending in diameter, the plunger will have to narrow as well. A straight tube and uniform plunger would be a lot easier, plus you would only have compressive forces on the hops in 1 direction.

Assuming a dried density of 1.4 lb/cubic ft...as .5 oz plug would need a final volume of...

1.4 lb/cuft = 22.4 oz/cu ft

.5 oz x 1 cuft/22.4 oz= .2232 cuft = 38.57 cuin

Assume a 2" diameter tube...Area = 3.14 sqin

38.57 cuin/ 3.14 squin = 12.3 in

OK, so you take a 2" diameter tube that's 15 inches long, pack it with a little more than 12" of hops. Insert a wooden or metal dowel that is (15-2=) 13 inches long and use the log splitter to push until the end of the dowel is flush with the end of the tube. You now have a hop plug that's compressed 6:1, weighs .5 oz and is 2 inches tall and 2 inches in diameter.

Now, you just need to figure out how to get the dowel back out. I'll leave that to you.

Hehe I have been reading a bunch on this and I am thinking that a extruder is not the method to use but instead make plugs using a straight wall pipe. I could make 1 ounce plugs that way and keep it rather simple.

Seems to me the issue for a home grower is drying them before you plug them that is if you have tons of hops to dry. Luckily ( or not ) I will not have more than 5 or so pounds to process so it should not pose much of a problem for me.

Thanks for steering me in the right direction though. It always helps when some one who has learned the hard way how to do it right is willing to share what they have learned.

So do you press the hops before or after drying?

How long do you need to leave them compressed in the tube before popping them out?

Thanks

You'll also want to watch your temperatures. Compressing raises temps and high temps are hops' enemy. Maybe if your process was very slow the heat generated from compression would have time to dissipate but you may want to aid that dissipation if at all possible.

Not to highjack the thread, but what is the advantage of plugs over loose leaf hops?
I could press mine into plugs but what do they really benefit you? Don't they separate like whole leaf when you toss them into boiling wort?

I have read that plugs store better and take up less space. They are also easier to get down a carboy neck for dry hopping.

You'll also want to watch your temperatures. Compressing raises temps and high temps are hops' enemy. Maybe if your process was very slow the heat generated from compression would have time to dissipate but you may want to aid that dissipation if at all possible.

So true...with our pelletizer, we are using liquid nitrogen to keep it cool. I'm certain you won't need to do that when making plugs but it would probably be best to check the temperature of the pipe between plugs.

Not to highjack the thread, but what is the advantage of plugs over loose leaf hops?
I could press mine into plugs but what do they really benefit you? Don't they separate like whole leaf when you toss them into boiling wort?

The two big advantages of pellets and plugs are space saving and oxidation reduction. Plugs are a compression of 5:1, 7:1 maybe more. Pellets, if I remember correctly, are 22:1 or more.

In both, the less surface area there is for air to contact the hops, the less oxidation can occur. Again, pellets have the advantage but plugs are easier.

You are right in that plugs break up like whole leaf, unlike pellets that break into a dust that is much easier to clean out.

GVH_Dan said:
So true...with our pelletizer, we are using liquid nitrogen to keep it cool. I'm certain you won't need to do that when making plugs but it would probably be best to check the temperature of the pipe between plugs.

Wow liquid nitrogen. That's crazy! It might be a good idea to get a little fan and have it blow on the outside of your pipe and wipe it down with either water or isopropanol. Isopropanol would make it much cooler but could get pricey.

Back