Phased brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theCougfan97

Reaction score
So I don't really get to decide what I will be doing on a given weekend which means I won't have a chance to do an AG batch today. Is it possible to make wort store it for a day and pick back up with the boil the following day?

Absolutely. As long as you boil it to kill off all the bacteria. Pre-boil you can take your time. Post boil you need to use a little more urgency.

If possible get your wort up to 168F to stop any enzyme activity before you close up shop for the day.

So what does everyone use to store the wort over night? This may be more practical for 1-2 gallon brews, but I currently like beer so I would be dealing with upwards of 7 gallons pre-boil. My thought process says the kettle with a lid is fine but I feel like thats asking for trouble at room temperature for say 12-20 hrs.

If you go more than a day or two the bacteria in the wort (there will be lots of it) may start to cause funky flavors or even sourness. I personally wouldn't go much more than overnight unless you can get it cooled down to fridge/freezer temps and keep it there.

chumpsteak said:
If you go more than a day or two the bacteria in the wort (there will be lots of it) may start to cause funky flavors or even sourness. I personally wouldn't go much more than overnight unless you can get it cooled down to fridge/freezer temps and keep it there.

Interesting, I was considering weekday brewing so it would probably sit for close to 20 hrs, which if it were inside would be in the low 60s most that time.

It's not even a day or two, if it drops down to iirc 130 lactobasilus will take hold and sour all the wort (that's how we make a portion of our wort sour for Guinness Clones.)

If you're going to mash overnight and boil the day, you have to maintain the temp of the grain/wort until the time you plan on boil, unless you're putting it in some sort of a vacuum, but even then that's usually done AFTER the boil (like no-chill brewers use.)

Lots of brewers do mash overnight. But they leave their wort in the mash tun, wrap it in something isulated and keep it as close to the mash temp as possible.

Let me makes sure I understand this. You are saying that I can mash for an hour, then drain into my kettle, leave it over night, properly protected and all, THEN continue with the boil in the morning?

What I've done on occasion is. Drain wort into boil kettle, ramp up to 180 or so, hold for a couple mins, flame out, and 24 hrs later or so come back and commence my boil again. A few things, I always do this when temps are between 20-40 degrees Fahrenheit ambient outdoor temps. I seal the top of kettle as best as i can and dont peak in.

Let me makes sure I understand this. You are saying that I can mash for an hour, then drain into my kettle, leave it over night, properly protected and all, THEN continue with the boil in the morning?

No....I'm saying you have to leave it in the mash tun, and maintian the temp over night above the temp that souring occurs.

Just because I am dumb here let's say my mash temperature is 152. First off I seriously doubt I could hold that temperature, or close to it, over night. However the main question here is what is the temperature that things would go bad in your scenario?

Just because I am dumb here let's say my mash temperature is 152. First off I seriously doubt I could hold that temperature, or close to it, over night.

Why can't you if the folks that do overnight mashing can manage it? Have you even looked for information on here on doing that since I started mentioning it. IIRC there was even a thread on that very topic YESTERDAY.

Even typing "Overnight mashing" into the google search bar at the top of my browser fills my screen with thousands of hits all over the web.

Revvy said:
Why can't you if the folks that do overnight mashing can manage it? Have you even looked for information on here on doing that since I started mentioning it. IIRC there was even a thread on that very topic YESTERDAY.

Even typing "Overnight mashing" into the google search bar at the top of my browser fills my screen with thousands of hits all over the web.

For me at least the thousands of results is a problem because you can find thousand of answers. I personally was looking for actual experience based knowledge, from a potentially knowledgable crowd.

Me too Coug. All I wanted to know is if people have tried this and what the results were. You are right. There is thousands of places on the web and here to read about and every single one of them gives a different answer. My best assumption from what I have been reading is it is ok to mash AND sparge and drain into your kettle at night, bring the water up to 180 or more, insulate the kttle as best you can and you should be fine the next day to begin the boil and go from there,

I've let a batch sit overnight twice with no issues. Per the FDA or USDA or whoever sets the standards if you raise the temp if the wort to 165F for at least 6 seconds the wort should be pasteurized. As long as you have a tight seal on the lid to keep anything from getting in you should not have any issues with things growing in there.

Back