Everything Brooklyn Brewshop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
34.gif
I love BBS! I've done 6 batches of their stuff: Everyday IPA, Blueberry Red Ale, chocolate maple porter, simcoe IPA, rye pa, and their light American ale, which I added lime zest to.
29.gif

Have you used their kits, or the recipes from the book? I never bought the kits, but I use the book. The best so far is the grapefruit honey pale.

I did the blonde American ale, used honey to prime, used 3tbsp per instructions but didn't collect 1g and over-primed but the little I tasted was good :)

I've never used BBS for recipes at all, I've tried and use Brew Craft's 1 gallon all-grain recipes once in a while and brew into a 2 1/2 gallon jug so I never have to worry about coming up short. Just to compare, I use 6 qt of strike water and 2 qt of sparge water, very seldom do I have to top up after the 60 min. boil. What #'s does BBS use for strike, sparge, and boil?
I like to do 1 gallon brews for any new recipes I see on the net - some good, some bad - I'd hate to waste 5 gallons on a bad one! Without thinking ahead to make a 1 gallon batch, I brewed a 5 gallon one I saw here on HBT; "Simcoe Assault IPA" that tasted like crap to me, so I thought, " OK, I'll take this to the after-Church potluck and get rid of it there" ...... everyone liked it and some of them keep asking me when I'm going to make another batch instead of the stouts and porters I usually take! Sometimes you just can't tell ........
NOTE: I didn't make the IPA just like Chris' original recipe called for, added some different grains, etc. , had thermometer problems, yada,yada (see my comments in the thread if you're interested, I don't intend to try to duplicate it) - also didn't use the 'no chill' and bottled instead of kegged.

Looking at doing a couple of bbs kits. I have an 8 in strainer. Will that work or would it be better to get a 10 in strainer. Or skip that all together and get a grain bag and cook the grains in that and take it out to do the sparge? What size grain bag would work good with the 1 gallon kits and a 16 quart tamale pot? Thanks!

Looking at doing a couple of bbs kits. I have an 8 in strainer. Will that work or would it be better to get a 10 in strainer. Or skip that all together and get a grain bag and cook the grains in that and take it out to do the sparge? What size grain bag would work good with the 1 gallon kits and a 16 quart tamale pot? Thanks!

You can get good results with a 6x9" bag, which is what I use for BBS kits. No need to mess around with a strainer.

I'm new to home brewing and thought that the size of the kit would work well with my limited space. I got two Oatmeal Stout kits and one of the Chestnut Brown Ale kits with my starter.
I brewed one of the Oatmeal Stouts, following the directions to the letter, and could not get it to settle in the carboy. It looked as if all activity in the airlock had stopped within the first week or so, but, after more than a month, half of the carboy was still cloudy. I kept it around 65 degrees (the coolest my wife would let the house get) and had it in a relatively dark spot.
I saw in one of the forums the suggestion to tie an aquarium filter over the bottom of the racking cane, but that did not work well and I was only able to get four pints into bottles. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get it to settle out so I don't waste half of the batch with the next attempt? I am looking forward to trying what I was able to bottle in the next couple of weeks.

... letter, and could not get it to settle in the carboy.

You will need a refrigerator for these tips. Search keywords are "cold crashing" and "gelatine finings." I've had good success with it. In short the method is: stick carboy in fridge (get close to freezing) for at least 48hrs. It may settle the yeast and proteins that otherwise could cause hazing. If that doesn't help add 1 tsp of powdered gelatine to half a cup of water which you warm to 170f max in the microwave (about 2 x 15 sec blasts should do it) to dissolve it. Pour in cold liquid in carboy and stick in back into the fridge. Wait till it clears.

Alternatively you can use super kleer/turbo klar finings. This works very fast and will clear your beer in 24h-48hrs but it will likely strip so much yeast so there isn't much left you carbonate your bottles (or it takes much longer).

Chestnut brown ale: the recipe calls for roasting chestnuts at 400 for 20 mins.

I don't know but I must have had a brain hemorrhage because I chose to roast hazelnuts (grounded in coffee grinder beforehand). Of course the roasting caused it to turn into powdered charcoal.

Interesting outcome I bet... It'll be done in a few weeks.

I just brewed the Everyday IPA on Sunday, so it won't hurt to leave it in the fermenter for another week?

For anyone interested, this is a great time to take a look at what Brooklyn Brew Shop has to offer; incommemoration of National Beer Day, much of the inventory is on stock, including a new line of American ales and my personal favourite so far, Chocolate Maple Porter. All-grain, small-batch brewing works great for me, and fits my life perfectly. You can take a look at http://brooklynbrewshop.com and see if it's right for you, too!

For anyone interested, this is a great time to take a look at what Brooklyn Brew Shop has to offer; incommemoration of National Beer Day, much of the inventory is on stock, including a new line of American ales and my personal favourite so far, Chocolate Maple Porter. All-grain, small-batch brewing works great for me, and fits my life perfectly. You can take a look at http://brooklynbrewshop.com and see if it's right for you, too!

I just bought their American Three mix pack (wheat/amber/stout) and added the warrior double IPA to match the shipping cost and get it up to free.

I made their Everyday IPA last fall and it got me into brewing so I'm pretty stoked to get back to all grain after doing a couple northern brewer extract kits this year.
I'm making one gallon a month all year over here -> http://inthebrewyear.tumblr.com

So anyone experience this, I brewed the Everyday IPA kit, fermented for 3 weeks, bottled and primed with 1/4 cup DME boiled in 1/2 cup water then conditioned for 3 weeks, 1st one opened and the carbonation seemed fine but had a slight head, the 2nd one a week or two later the carbonation seemed fine but a bigger head, the 3rd one this passed Sunday the carbonation seemed to be way higher and the head is ridiculous.
In the pic the upper left is the 1st one, lower left the 2nd one and to the right is the 3rd one, sorry if you have seen this before but it is posted in multiple threads.

image.jpg

Hey, so update: the Wheat turned into gushers, but the Amber came out okay.

I brewed the Warrior 2x IPA last week, and next week I plan on brewing the stout.

I also recently bought ingredients for the pumpkin dubbel they have in their book, has anyone made that?
Also I was thinking of roasting the pumpkin in a bourbon glaze before adding it, but I'm not sure if I should?

Hello all, I've just bought my first BBS kit along with their first book too. I've brewed some other recipes already (1G, 2G and 2.5G sizes) but curious to see how this one and the ones in the recipe book turn out. Definitely subscribed to this topic.
Tony

Hello all, I've just bought my first BBS kit along with their first book too. I've brewed some other recipes already (1G, 2G and 2.5G sizes) but curious to see how this one and the ones in the recipe book turn out. Definitely subscribed to this topic.
Tony

What kit did you buy?

Guys, I'm drinking one of the Warrior IPAs right now.
The good news is if tastes like beer, the bad news is there are some bannana type flavors and the hops aren't showing up as so much.
It kind of tastes like a northern brewer white house honey ale I made in February.
I'm thinking it might have something to do with how I stored the hops (in the trunk of my car for most the summer while I was between houses) and it fermented in the low 60s though I'm not sure what yeast BBS uses.
but its still drinkable so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, the stout is bottled and so is the pumpkin dubbel.

Guys, I'm drinking one of the Warrior IPAs right now.
The good news is if tastes like beer, the bad news is there are some bannana type flavors and the hops aren't showing up as so much.
It kind of tastes like a northern brewer white house honey ale I made in February.
I'm thinking it might have something to do with how I stored the hops (in the trunk of my car for most the summer while I was between houses) and it fermented in the low 60s though I'm not sure what yeast BBS uses.
but its still drinkable so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, the stout is bottled and so is the pumpkin dubbel.

That's not optimal storage for hops.

Back