First brew day! Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonk007

Reaction score
So today is the day, after months of research today is my first brew day and I couldn't be more excited. I have some last minute questions though. I am using a 10 gallon kettle with a 1/2 inch valve at the bottom. I'm going to use a hop spider for the hops and then running the wort through a plate chiller. Do I need to worry about all the hot break and other gunk that results from brewing, how besides using a strainer at my carboy can I prevent most of it from getting into the carboy? I have read whirlpooling works but I'm not sure if I should do that or just get a false bottom.

I think you might be over thinking this a bit for your first brew. Since you are using a hop spider I don't think you have anything to worry about. Just drain the kettle into the fermenter and you will be fine.

I don't use a spider but I do use mesh bags for my hops. After the boil I drain everything into the fermenter leaving the mesh bags full of hops behind. The solids eventually settle to the bottom of the fermenter and get left behind when the beer is racked to a keg. I don't notice any off flavors in the beer from doing it this way.

The only thing that is important in your case is that you don't clog the plate chiller. I don't use one so I can't comment on whether or not a straining technique needs to be put in place before using one. I doubt it though since you are using a spider.

I don't strain period, I get a decent trub layer and just rack above it. No problems

Back