Saison Parfait (by Bootleg Biology) appreciation thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetcell

Protruding Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
(aside: a bootleg yeast that i'm definitely all about is their Saison Parfait... i need to start a dedicated thread about that one)
Please do and tag me. I am drinking mine now and really enjoying it. I'm getting nice fruity esters and hay from mine.

ok, @Inkleg and @Dog House Brew, here you are: a thread dedicate to Saison Parfait.

i made a relatively "restrained" saison with my pouch and i'm loving it. made a 1.75 liter starter. i didn't ferment too hot: pitched at 72, up to 75 on day 4, hit 77 a few days later and stayed there. SP got the beer down to 1.007 after 18 days. there was still a little activity going on, had i been more patient (or maybe cranked up the heat) i might have been able to drive that down further. i'm perfectly happy with this beer as is.

i'm getting some pear esters and a hint of bubble gum, and some spice in the aftertaste. the amarillo dry-hop comes through nicely. it's definitely a saison, but those seeking a DuPont clone might not be satisfied with it (their loss!).

glad i saved some of the cake from this one. will be using it again, maybe i'll go all-out and get those temps up higher.

Last edited:
I’ve missed the last couple opportunities to pick it up so I’ll be subbing, waiting waiting.

Just put one of these packs on my BB pre order, pretty excited to try a more nuanced saison strain. So far I have only used Belle Saison and WLP568.

Also getting the mad fermentationist saison blend and Chardonnay.

Last edited:
Just kegged my split batch with Parfait, 565, and Saisonstein’s Monster. I do love 565, but I have to say Parfait is my favorite thus far. Reminds me of a blend of 565 and 3711. Didn’t get in on a fresh pack this time. I did harvest a pint full this morning.

I'm preparing to pitch Saison Parfait into a low gravity Farmhouse Ale - just picked it up, haven't used it before. I'd like the phenols to come through. Any suggestions on how to see that happens? Pitch relatively low then ramp up?

I'd like the phenols to come through. Any suggestions on how to see that happens? Pitch relatively low then ramp up?
that's generally how i use saisons to get plenty of character. definitely pitch cool, in the mid- to upper 60's, and hold for a few days to ensure you don't get those early esters.

Just kegged my split batch with Parfait, 565, and Saisonstein’s Monster. I do love 565, but I have to say Parfait is my favorite thus far. Reminds me of a blend of 565 and 3711. Didn’t get in on a fresh pack this time. I did harvest a pint full this morning.

As a follow up, after have some condition time, all were really nice. In the end I thought Monster and Parfait were my favorites. I never thought that anything would beat my all time favorite 565. Not sure how the blend is now that it was a harvest, but I’ll be using it to see.

I am using this yeast this weekend to brew my first shot at this recipe:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/hi-nelson-nelson-hopped-saison-w-hibiscus.474462/

I will also overbuild my starter to keep around. I will be fermenting in the warmest room in my house (70-75F).

How’d your Nelson Saison turn out?

I’m wanting to mess around with late/dry hop w/Saison Parfait, but a heavy dose of Amarillo late-hopped is just so good. Gonna tone down the late hop, keg, then bottle on a variety of hops to see what comes of it.

It turned out pretty good, it had been bottle conditioning now for awhile and I like it better than when it was young. I am not sure if it is the herbal bitterness from the hibiscus that I find a little off but overall solid beer. I think I have to try this yeast with more of a straight-forward saison to judge it on it's own merits.

Brewed up a hoppy saison yesterday, pitched Bootleg saison parfait and Funk Weapon #2.

75/15/10 of 2-row/rye malt/GNO

Whirpooled 3 oz each of Mandarina Bavaria and Hallarteur Blanc. Will dry hop with 4-5 oz Mosaic once fermentation appears mostly complete.

Currently chugging away at 76 F.

Brewed up a hoppy saison yesterday, pitched Bootleg saison parfait and Funk Weapon #2.

75/15/10 of 2-row/rye malt/GNO

Whirpooled 3 oz each of Mandarina Bavaria and Hallarteur Blanc. Will dry hop with 4-5 oz Mosaic once fermentation appears mostly complete.

Currently chugging away at 76 F.

Man that sounds really good. I just put together a recipe that is almost a clone of this. Boiling my starter wort as I type. Going to wake up some 6mo old slurry of this.

Mark me down as a lover of this yeast! Split a table strength batch 3 ways - SP, Mad Fermentationist blend, and Omega Jovaru. The SP is now my go to Saison yeast - slightly phenolic, nice juicy fruit esters, good body - everything I want in a Saison. The Jovaru is a close 2nd - spicy and lemony tart, will definitely use this in something again. In fact, I might blend the 2 to see what happens.

If anyone is up for trading I'd love to add this to my roster. I have an amazing culture harvested from Jester King Detritivore, OYL-500 and loads of Kveik to trade.

Just brewed up a saison yesterday with this yeast. Pack was from this summer so I made a small starter to refresh it, and to bank some. The starter tasted pretty good. Clove, spice, sort of a non-descript fruitiness (bubble gum, red apple, citrus?). Malt bill inspired by Cottage House Saison (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/cottage-house-saison.254684/) and hopping sort of inspired by L'internationale (http://www.thefarmhouseobsession.com/2018/06/linternationale-homebrew-recipe.html)

8lbs Pilsner
2lbs Wheat
.5lb Flaked Oats
.5lb Munich 10L

1oz Crystal - 90 min
1oz Crystal - 20 min
1.5oz Crystal - Flame out, 20 min stand
1.5oz Kohatu - Flame out, 20 min stand
Planning to dry hop with 2oz Kohatu, but will make a game time decision when I taste it.

Mashed at 150F for 60 min
Mashed out at 167F
Sparged to collect 8 gal. Boiled for 90 min down to 5.5-6 gal.

30 ibu
I broke my hydrometer, but saved a sample. 1.048 anticipated SG.

I did a split batch between Saisonstein's Monster, Saison Parfait, and good'ol Dupont 3724. I've used them all before, but never against the same wort. This was 25% red wheat malt, 8% flaked spelt, the rest pilsner, clocking in at 1.045. All were pitched at 68 and allowed to free rise in a 71 degree room (barrel room).

The Saison parfait generated noticeable esters, and a fair amount of isoamyl acetate / banana character. It's a little too sweet midpalate, ripe banana for my taste, bubblegum I enjoy. But it was fun to run the split batch. As usual I chose Dupont in a blind preference test, Saisonstein's second.

Life and holidays ended up getting in the way. I just dry hopped this tonight. Hoping to bottle Sunday. It finished at 1.003 and is a hazy golden color. I think this is going to be a pretty beer.

I tasted this about a month ago and it's shifting a little more traditional saison leaning now. It's dry, hoppy, almost a touch astringent. It's lost most of the banana it had when it was young. It's more earthy, hay, slightly spicy and peppery. There are still light notes of sweet fruitiness, maybe berry. Tasting it is more of the same earthy hay and light phenolics. There's a nice lemon note.

The plan is to bottle about 3 gallons of this straight. I'll probably split off the last two gallons onto Funk Weapon #3 and maybe amalgamation II or turn the rest into a biere de coupage depending on volumes

Last edited:
Amalg II has some really nice overripe berry characters, even young, I could see it complementing nicely.

Any suggestions for the ‘optimal’ fermentation temperature for this yeast? Just bought this yeast for the first time and excited to see what 100% attenuation tastes like in a Saison.

I use it like all the rest. I hold it at 68 until it gets rocking, and I let it go. Usually makes it to 75ish. When it starts to slow, I boost it to 80.

Latest posts

Back