Safbrew T-58, how long before the beer is ready to serve?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ali01

Reaction score
I'm not going beyond 1.045 and Im going to bottle condition

Depends on what you consider "ready" to mean. What's the style/recipe? Some beers are better fresher, others need some extra time to come into their own.

Primary fermentation might be done in as little as 4 or 5 days and carbonation in the bottles about the same, but I would probably let it go three weeks in the FV and another three weeks in the bottles. Some people would go longer in the FV to get clearer beer into the bottles. Some people would go shorter. Since you're bottle conditioning, everything will eventually settle out in the bottles anyway. You'll just have more or less sediment depending on how clear it is when you bottle it.

Yeast work on their own schedules, so it's not easy to predict when it will be done. Take gravity readings from the FV a day or two apart, and when there is no drop between 2 or 3 readings, the beer is ready for packaging.

Bottling too soon could result in overcarbonation, even bottle bombs.

I think bottle conditioned beers always taste better after a couple of months. They're carbed up after a 2 weeks or so and can be drunk, but are better later.

I always leave the beer in primary for at least two weeks or more. For a 'normal' OG beer like this at least 2 weeks in the bottle is usually enough for my taste to start drinking. I have not tried the T-58 yeast though.

T-58 is one of the fastest of the common yeasts, it rips through wort so fermentation time is not an issue.

So then it becomes a question of what the beer is rather than what the yeast is - beers emphasising malt flavours can take a couple of months to integrate all the flavours, whereas beers that are more about hop/yeast flavours will need less time.

I'm with those that like to leave in primary for up to a month, and minimum 3 weeks in botttle, if you can stand to.

T-58 is probably ready to bottle in 7-10 days at 20C, but if you don't have a good way to sample without introducing oxygen, that's another reason to just wait a while.

(Everybody here talks about sampling a bunch, but doing that from a basic bucket/carboy never seemed particularly viable to me. Easier to be patient. If ale fermentation is still going after a month, there's something very wrong. When bottling I would take one reading after commiting to bottling already. I keep bottles in a plastic bin for a month+ in case of bombs, but I can't recall ever having one burst.)

Back