New o ring empty co2 tank next day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmajon

Reaction score
So, I suspected my keg mouth was slightly warped and there was a slow co2 leak. I bought the oversized o ring from Williams brewing and when it arrived I switched it out. I set to about 9 psi b/c I had overcarbed a keg on the manifold.

Next day, co2 tank is totally empty.

What did I do wrong? Was I supposed to use some kind of oil or whatever on the new o ring?

Keg lube is always a good idea. It's not a good idea to assume that a keg doesn't leak. Spray it all down with soap water or star san and find that leak!

I use keg lube religiously. It makes a big difference. And as mentioned, check for leaks with a spray bottle of StarSan (look for bubbling).

I just lost a tank last week as well. I've re-lubed all the o-rings and checked for leaks with starsan but still can't find a leak. I've been just turning off the tank when not in use until I figure it out. As an FYI, I just swapped a 20# Al tank for $13 which seemed like a total deal.

Make sure you check ALL the possible culprits:

gas in post
beer out post (can leak if not tight)
pressure relief valve
distribution blocks
secondary regulators
gauges
primary regulator
each end of every hose
It's even possible the bell on your reg isn't screwed down enough and it's leaking past the diaphragm

The C02 system isn't that complicated, but there are a lot of places gas can escape. Your gauges and regulators shouldn't be dunked, but you can safely dunk your keg with hoses connected under water and see if there are bubbles if the starsan doesn't show anything. Same goes for all of your hoses and ball/pin lock connectors. I did that the first time I put my system together because I had never set up a keezer before. I promptly discovered that my used kegs needed new o-rings on the posts. Any tug on the ball lock connector from the hose and gas came out. I couldn't even tell a difference between the look of the o-rings that came off and the new ones but it made all the difference for leaks.

Latest posts

Back