S-189 for pseudo Baltic Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pehlman17

Reaction score
Thinking about brewing up something in the vein of Baltic Porter but at ale(ish) temps. Was considering using S-189 since I’ve heard good things, but never used it. Any thoughts? I’m open to 34/70 or Diamond as well if anyone thinks either one’s a better choice. Shooting for about 1.070 OG, a little under 5 gallons as I ferment in a corny. Should I go 1 or 2 packets? Probably just gonna sprinkle it on top. No rehydrating most likely.

Cheers!

I think 34/70 is likely to be both more neutral and better at ale temperatures. And I'd use 2 packs for sure. (RiteBrew actually has decent prices on 34/70, btw.)

I've been meaning to get me one of those.

I'll probably go with two just to be safe. How's the attenuation with S-189?
It's always good, 75-80%. I love my lagers in the summer and I always go with this yeast.

I've got a german pilsner and an IPA that I'm using this yeast on right now (most would call it an IPL for that reason). I don't like the hazy ipa's, I like them crisp and hoppy, so I'm fermenting cold with S-189 and a TON of dryhops.

I'm drinking one as we speak that I used both S-189 and Diamond lager. It's quite good, still young and a bit of sulphur in the aroma but the flavors really shine with chocolate and malt goodness. The yeast just seems to get out of the way. I fermented at 13c for a week then at room temps for another week.

20221101_184114.jpg

I'm drinking one as we speak that I used both S-189 and Diamond lager. It's quite good, still young and a bit of sulphur in the aroma but the flavors really shine with chocolate and malt goodness. The yeast just seems to get out of the way. I fermented at 13c for a week then at room temps for another week.

View attachment 785222
Looks good! Did you co-pitch them together or do a split batch with each yeast in a different fermenter?

My LHBS has Diamond for $2 cheaper than either S-189 or 34/70 and I just found myself debating over price. Over two f*cking dollars… what’s wrong with me? 🤦🏻‍♂️ haha
Diamond is possibly even better than S-189. If you can save a couple bucks, then YES, I would do it!

I've been meaning to get me one of those.

I'll probably go with two just to be safe. How's the attenuation with S-189?
I get 81% average from both S-189 and Diamond. These are very similar yeasts, closely related cousins.

Diamond is possibly even better than S-189. If you can save a couple bucks, then YES, I would do it!

I get 81% average from both S-189 and Diamond. These are very similar yeasts, closely related cousins.
Good to know! Any sweet spot temp-wise if I'm running it on the "warmer" side?

I currently have my fermentation fridge in the garage, which even with the colder temps outside (I'm in SoCal) shouldn't risk dropping below 60. But I figure worse comes worst its a lager, haha. I made the mistake a long time ago of trying to brew a Belgian Dubbel in the winter. Couldn't maintain above 60 in the fridge once fermentation slowed and that sucker crapped out at 1.030.

Good to know! Any sweet spot temp-wise if I'm running it on the "warmer" side?

I currently have my fermentation fridge in the garage, which even with the colder temps outside (I'm in SoCal) shouldn't risk dropping below 60. But I figure worse comes worst its a lager, haha. I made the mistake a long time ago of trying to brew a Belgian Dubbel in the winter. Couldn't maintain above 60 in the fridge once fermentation slowed and that sucker crapped out at 1.030.
In my experience, the exact temperature doesn't matter so much, as long as it is reasonably consistent. I've made good lagers in the 50s and 60s, even the upper 60s. These yeasts are clean and forgiving. I'd suggest aiming for low to mid 60s but that's just me. No one else might agree with me and that's fine. Take your pick. It will turn out great no matter what in my experience.

In my experience, the exact temperature doesn't matter so much, as long as it is reasonably consistent. I've made good lagers in the 50s and 60s, even the upper 60s. These yeasts are clean and forgiving. I'd suggest aiming for low to mid 60s but that's just me. No one else might agree with me and that's fine. Take your pick. It will turn out great no matter what in my experience.
Low-mid 60s shouldn’t be a problem. It’s kind of what I was hoping to hear anyway. All in all I’m hoping for a quick-ish turnaround grain to glass,(month or less ideally) and not having to be a total diacetyl hawk.

Looks good! Did you co-pitch them together or do a split batch with each yeast in a different fermenter?
Together as a mixed fermentation. I think either or will make a good Baltic Porter.

Mine is 2 weeks old and tastes great already but will get better with time. I pitched the two yeast cakes from 2- 4l batches I made with the DL and s189.

Together as a mixed fermentation. I think either or will make a good Baltic Porter.
Very cool! A mixed fermentation is something I’ve still yet to try as well.

I’m definitely not making a traditional Baltic Porter by any means. I haven’t done an experimental batch in a while so I figured I’d throw some things at the wall and see what sticks. Had the idea of making a dark beer using only non-barley ingredients for the character malts. Classic barley base malts of course, but otherwise was thinking of using a 1/2-lb each of golden naked oats and chocolate rye, a 1/4-lb of midnight wheat, and perhaps some dark begian candi syrup. I’ve got a bit of leftover EKG and Willamette hops in the freezer. Then figured why not see what happens when I throw a lager yeast at it.

I don’t do these sorts of beers very often where I just wing it, but we’ll see how it goes. I’m definitely leaning toward two packs of Diamond lager pitched dry around the 64F range.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back