biab with wheat and rice hulls?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnsen

Reaction score
Well hello (again) there hop heads, Just yesterday I was @ the local home brew shop, I had a recipe, 6lb german wheat malt, 4 lb belgian 2 row, 1/4 lb cara- pils, 1/4 lb munich...this was a "crop circle wheat" clone from Great Dane Brewery (milwaukee)...anyway the guy working says, you need rice hulls?, and I said no, as I was biab....he strongly recommended it, I bought some anyway . i thought rice hulls was for a stuck sparge with a lauder tun..wich I have never used...he said "with all that wheat I would really recommenend it anyway".so I was in a hurry and the place was busy..so I dident ask why wheat was an issue..now that my feet are up and a cold 1 in my hand I was hoping the brewing gods on here could answer that, so my question. why would a lotta wheat in my biab make rice hulls a plus?... i have never used them b4...toss in just b4 the end of my mash?...thankx ....Tom

Not necessary for BIAB as you are filtering with the bag, not with husks. Won't hurt anything though.
This exactly. I would never recommend rice hulls for BIAB. It's there only to help filter the sticky wheat grains from clogging your false bottom in your mash tun. But Max is right...it wont hurt anything at all

I never used rice hulls in my PB/PM BIAB beers either,for the very reasons mentioned. Not needed,since enough of other grains added seems to keep it from doughing up once stirred & well wetted. That's my obsevations anyway.
Gunna dry the spent grains on the next Berlin wheat I'm brewing tomorrow. Last time I didn't & they smelled like banana bread! Things that make ya go hmmmm...:mug:

Back