Running BeerSmith as a non-admin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dummkauf

Reaction score
Figured I'd share this as I was extremely irritated by this. I just purchased BeerSmith last night, and spent a good couple hours playing with it, migrating my recipes over from qbrew into it, and playing with developing my own recipes, closed it down and went to bed. Much to my dismay when I fired it up tonight to play with the recipes some more everything was gone!!!.

After sorting through a procman report it turns out I was getting access denied on the C:\Program Files\BeerSmith directory. I don't log into my PC as an admin, I am typing this as a regular user, however to install beersmith I had to install it as an admin, and apparently the folks at BeerSmith expect everyone to run their application as an administrator on the system. Unfortunately I use a limited user account for my day to day computer use and this didn't work. So to fix this I granted my user account modify rights to the entire C:\Program Files\BeerSmith directory and everything underneath it. You could probably just grant the Users group rights which would be a better idea if you have multiple people using the PC who will also be using beersmith, I didn't because I don't think my fiance will be using it anytime soon.

I also rebuilt my laptop a month ago due to hard drive failure and went to set the folder permissions and realized there was no security tab in the folder properties!!! Forgot to disable simple file sharing after the rebuild, so if you want to do this you will need to disable simple file sharing, note this is only for XP Pro, I have no idea how you would go about this with XP Home edition as I never use it. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874

Hi,
There is an easier easier way to do this even if you are a non-admin. First back up your recipes using the Export command to export all of your recipes to a file.

Next, reinstall BeerSmith, but install it to a directory under your "My Documents" directory for the user you normally run as - for example on my computer it would be C:\Users\Brad\Documents\BeerSmith, where Brad is my login name.

Now you can just re-import your recipes and since the files are all under your documents directory you won't have permissions problems and the program will run just fine as a non-admin.

Cheers,
Brad

Back