Explanation of Hop Boil Times in recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lespaul00

Reaction score
Hello,

This should be a simple question to answer - so I apologize for being a n00b.

I have a recipe that has a Hop Schedule that looks like this (the total Boil Time is 60 minutes BTW):

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1 Amarillo Gold Pellet 9.4 45.6 Mash Hop
0.5 Warrior Pellet 16.3 35.9 60min
0.25 Magnum Pellet 14.4 15.9 60min
0.25 Centennial Pellet 9.9 5.6 30min
0.25 Simcoe Pellet 13.6 7.6 30min
1 Amarillo Gold Pellet 9.4 9.4 0min
1 Simcoe Pellet 13.6 0 0min
2 Amarillo Gold Pellet 9.4 9.4 Dry Hop

I believe that is means that, once I start the Mash, I add in the Amarillo Gold (first amount of it). Hence the "Mash Hop" designation. Then, once I start the Boil, I immediately add in the Warrior and Magnum (so that it can "Boil" for 60 minutes, as it's designation states). After 30 minutes into the Boil (here, meaning, 30 minutes left in the total 60 minute Boil), I add the Centennial and Simcoe (so they can Boil for 30 minutes total as the designation states). Then, right at the end of the Boil (and immediately before I start cooling it down), I add the Amarillo and the Simcoe final additions.

As for the Dry Hopping of the Amarillo (last amount), do I add those hops after I cool down the wort and transfer it to my Fermentation Bucket? I read some places that for Dry Hopping, you should wait a day or two into fermentation to add it (and possibly suspend it in the solution). Here is a link where I read it:
dry-hopping-beer/

Am I on the right track here? Do I have the Hop Schedule concept backwards?

Thanks!!!

You have the concept right. 60 minutes means that they boil for 60 minutes, etc.

As for dry hopping, you will get a lot of different views on this. Some will say to only dry hop for the last 3 days before bottling. Some will say 7-14 days. Either way, I doubt you want to do it as soon as the wort cools.

Dry hopping is best done after FG is reached & the beer has settled out clear or slightly misty. Otherwise,the hop oils coat the yeast cells,etc & go to the bottom with them. You got the boil times right. Never did First Wort Hopping,so someone that has will have to jump in there.

You got the schedule right for the boil. To add on to Union's post, if you dry hop before/during vigorous fermentation, the CO2 that is escaping will drive off some of the aroma from your dry hops, basically nullifying your efforts. I usually add them in at 5-7days before bottling, but there are different schools of thought and the only right answer about how long to dry hop is to experiment and do what works best for you. Some people do 3 days, some a week, some recipes call for 2 additions of dry hops, and some folks put a bag of hops in with the beer at kegging time and leave them in for the life of the keg.

I believe that is means that, once I start the Mash, I add in the Amarillo Gold (first amount of it). Hence the "Mash Hop" designation.

Correct. Hops go right in the mash at the beginning.

Not to be confused with first wort hops (FWH), which means that the hops go in the empty boil kettle and the first runnings are drained over the top of them.

Wow, I must say, you guys are AWESOME!!! I just went out to lunch and came back to all of these responses. Thank you VERY MUCH!

I'll be sure to keep coming back to this Forum for recommendations as I experiment with homebrewing.

Thanks again!

:ban:

Back