roots grew through the pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobeer

Fermentation Specalist
Reaction score
This will be my 3rd season growing hops and I'm stoked to get an actual yield this year!

I've been growing them in pots since we were planning on selling the house for the past 2 years. We finally sold the house in the middle of last summer so I moved the plants to my parents house before they grew too big to move. After the summer I cut down the bines and went to move the pots to the garage but they were stuck to the ground. The roots grew through the bottom of the pots.
My question is: Is it ok to just rip them out of the ground or cut the roots so I can move them to their forever home in my new backyard? I'd think, since they're so invasive, that the plant would be just fine but I wanted to make sure since I've been babying these guys for a couple years now. I don't want to have to start over again!

I would say that it be better to cut the roots rather than pull and rip. This should encourage new vigorous root growth. If you were to rip ,the stress of the tension to rip will surely damage the roots.
What varieties of hops do you have growing?

Same thing happened to me on my move back to Ohio in 1990. That first year, one didn't get planted and spent the entire growing season in a 5 gal bucket. That fall, I ended up tipping the bucket up and cut the roots with a pruning saw and replanted, no issues.

And technically, they aren't invasive, just very opportunistic. I think most folks run into trouble when they plant them in areas where they cannot cultivate completely around the entire crown. I've been growing them for a long time and have no issues, but have seen many examples of them getting away from folks due to where they were planted.

I would say that it be better to cut the roots rather than pull and rip. This should encourage new vigorous root growth. If you were to rip ,the stress of the tension to rip will surely damage the roots.
What varieties of hops do you have growing?

Thanks for the reply! I have nugget, chinook, cascade, and centennial. I think the sun bleached out my labeling though so I'm not sure what is what, haha. Good thing they all go together!

Same thing happened to me on my move back to Ohio in 1990. That first year, one didn't get planted and spent the entire growing season in a 5 gal bucket. That fall, I ended up tipping the bucket up and cut the roots with a pruning saw and replanted, no issues.

And technically, they aren't invasive, just very opportunistic. I think most folks run into trouble when they plant them in areas where they cannot cultivate completely around the entire crown. I've been growing them for a long time and have no issues, but have seen many examples of them getting away from folks due to where they were planted.

Good to know. Thanks for the reply!

Hah, "opportunistic" I think is better, more accurate, term for them! I'm planning on planting them in one of those wooden box type things you plant in the ground with the crown to help keep the roots in one place. Does this really work? I've read the roots want to look for water so they can grow pretty far away from the plant. I'd like to try and the crown/roots in one general area as much as possible. They'll be in the middle of my yard with 2 mature trees in the same garden bed. There's a nice clearing in the bed next to the trees that faces the full sun that I think will be perfect for them.

Better to cut the roots as clean as possible, but it's hard to do neat cuts under a rooted pot sometimes. The plant will suffer some stress, but you'll still end up with a stronger plan that what you'd typically buy, so shouldn't be a problem. I've done that a lot, no losses yet.

Back