Root Beer is Pure Foam?... Ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EFaden

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a keg of Sprecher's Root Beer and am having an issue with it. I made up the batch about three weeks ago and it was going great. I force carbed at about 35 PSI. It was coming out perfectly. My fridge froze over and now all I get out of the keg is pure foam. Anyone have any ideas how to fix it?

make sure the post from the keg isn't stuck or any ice still in the line

Had a similar issue with my keezer a few weeks ago resulting in 3 kegs (and a few cases of bottles) freezing solid. After I got a handle on the temp, all my beer was pouring as nothing but foam. I suspect that the temp drop allowed additional CO2 to be absorbed by the beer as it cooled and finally froze, resulting in super-over-carbonated beer once it warmed back up again.

Working on this assumption, I shut down the gas to the kegs and then purged excess CO2 over the course of several days until the beer was completely flat. Turned the gas back on, waited a few days for it to carb back up to the proper level, and was rewarded with beer that once again poured properly and had the correct amount of carbonation. :ban:

Pretty much what I am doing... I didn't think about the Temperature vs CO2 problem. That really explains why I have way too much gas in there. Are you in Rochester, NY?

Pretty much what I am doing... I didn't think about the Temperature vs CO2 problem. That really explains why I have way too much gas in there. Are you in Rochester, NY?

Yes I am, I didn't look at your location before now. I'm in Charlotte, near the cemeteries.

Strange coincidence that we're both in Rochester, I had the same "freeze" problem recently, and the only reason I stopped in here instead of the beer side of the forums is that I just bottled up my first batch of root beer tonight and needed to do a bit of research (extract).

Cheers! :mug:

Back