Root Beer a hit at the Open House

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My daughter had a high school graduation open house this weekend and the 5 gallons of Root Beer was obviously a hit since it was empty when I went to take the keg home.

We made this last week and I had it on gas to get it carbed up since then. I used the cheap stuff in the little brown box and I thought it was very strong and almost medicinal when we made it, but she liked it. There was a lot of licorice and anise flavor.

It did seem to mellow out some, and lots of people gushed about it. So I guess even the stuff that I consider "low grade" soda can be tasty and fun. The sasparilla wasn't all that good IMO either. I liked the Birch Beer best so far.

Now to see if I can make something from scratch that people will want to drink.

That's great news. My favorite root beer (and I'm not a root beer fan, much) was Sprecher's. The extract is expensive, though- about $20 or so for a 5 gallon batch.

My favorite homemade soda is ginger ale. I don't drink much of it, but I love a strong ginger bite so when I make soda, it's ginger ale.

I'd have no problem paying $20 for a keg of Root Beer to share at a party. I just didn't have time to order and get it carbed up before the open house.

I should try making some ginger ale. I don't drink much pop anymore, so making a full batch is a big waste. Except for my wife's Diet Dew habit, we don't dirnk much as a household.

But, I did get to try out my converted 2.5 gallon Stainless Fire Extinguisher and it seemed to function perfectly. Small enough to try different recipes but not small enough to fit in my kegerator with the 2 kegs of beer. :(

Back