Is this an LP or natural gas connector?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Bought a used burner and I am not sure if the connector shown below is intended for LP or natural gas? It is different from my other LP connectors so I don't know if this was modified for NG.

064.jpg

065.jpg

That's the old Prestolite fitting for LP. You'll have to replace it with the new style fitting, probably available where grills and accessories are sold. :mug:

Never mind the gas question and on to more important stuff... is that a Garden Weasel in the backround!!!???

Yes, it's a burner for LP service.

Not sure why you would want to replace that P.O.L. connector, though?

Even the newest quick-connect 20 lb bottles still accept the male POL connector on the female inner threads.

That's the old Prestolite fitting for LP. You'll have to replace it with the new style fitting, probably available where grills and accessories are sold. :mug:

no need to replace it, it will screw into the tank (left hand threads) but you need a wrench to tighten it

Sorry everyone, I got this mixed up. It is the old tank valves that don't work with the new connections. I have a full 4lb. tank that's been sitting around for a few years and can't use it as a backup for my newer gas grill.

msa8967 that's a '69 Eldorado :cool:

I tried connecting this with a wrench to a new style tank and could not get the threads to link up. The diameter of the connector at the end of the hose is smaller than the opening on the LP tank.

Did you try turning it to the left? The propane tank has left hand threads and won't sync up if you are turning to the right.

Did you try turning it to the left? The propane tank has left hand threads and won't sync up if you are turning to the right.

And the threads aren't all the way to the end of the tank valve. You have to hold the threaded part in while you are turning to get it started

I tired turning to the right and the left but the diameters just don't match up right. I only paid $15 for this (plus the turkey fryer pot and basket). I think a trip to Menards or Lowes will be in order later this week.

So I tried connecting the regulator hose threads to my spare LP tank and found that connection was a tighter fit. Once I wrapped so gas tape around the threads I tested it for leaks and everything was fine. I think I will exchange my first LP tank instead of refilling it next time.

I tired turning to the right and the left but the diameters just don't match up right. I only paid $15 for this (plus the turkey fryer pot and basket). I think a trip to Menards or Lowes will be in order later this week.

If you want to give up that's fine, buy I'm guessing you are not holding the threaded piece in far enough. The tank valve doesn't have threads in the first 1/4 inch or so. The part with the threads slides on the other part. Slide it all the way to the end, push it into the tank valve and thread to the left. It can be a pain until you figure it out

If you want to give up that's fine, buy I'm guessing you are not holding the threaded piece in far enough. The tank valve doesn't have threads in the first 1/4 inch or so. The part with the threads slides on the other part. Slide it all the way to the end, push it into the tank valve and thread to the left. It can be a pain until you figure it out

So I tried connecting the regulator hose threads to my spare LP tank and found that connection was a tighter fit. Once I wrapped so gas tape around the threads I tested it for leaks and everything was fine. I think I will exchange my first LP tank instead of refilling it next time.

I probably was not clear enough in my previous post. The connection fits tightly now and there are no leaks. The problem may have been with the first LP tank I tried connecting it to. I am using the burner now to heat some water for cleaning kegs.

Back