Road trip to Florida

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuskerBrian

Reaction score
I am driving from Nebraska to Jacksonville, FL next month for a beekeeping convention. I am hoping for some advice on a few don't miss brew stops on the way there and back. On the way down I will go thru Kansas City, St. Louis, Nashville, and Atlanta. On the way home I will probably go west along the gulf coast in search of some tupelo honey.

Many Thanks Brian

I am driving from Nebraska to Jacksonville, FL next month for a beekeeping convention. I am hoping for some advice on a few don't miss brew stops on the way there and back. On the way down I will go thru Kansas City, St. Louis, Nashville, and Atlanta. On the way home I will probably go west along the gulf coast in search of some tupelo honey.

Many Thanks Brian

I recommend stopping through Northeast Tennessee or Asheville NC, although I may be slightly biased. We have a Tupelo Honey here in Johnson City and Asheville has one too along with some amazing craft breweries like Wicked Weed that I wouldn't want to miss...

If stopping in Nashville Yazoo is a must in my opinion.

In Atlanta I recommend Wild Heaven Craft Beers.

Yes, if you can make the trip to Asheville, NC you won't regret it. Wicked Weed/Funkatorium, Burial, Green Man all walking distance from each other. Tasty Beverage is close too, a great bottle shop with great beers on tap. Fonta Flora is an amazing brewery as well, but is about an hour east of Asheville. Perhaps visit the new Sierra Nevada in Mills River. Always a blast drooling over their facility.

Have a safe road trip!

Also I am form Jacksonville, just moved from there 3 years ago for my job. If you have the chance go to a pub called Kickback's. It is in a decent part of town and they have over 600-700 beers to choose from all the time with over 70 on tap.

I am in the ATL burbs. Could meet up for a beer if you have time and I am in town and direct you to good bars and bottle shops. Shoot me a PM

Spent about 5 years in NE also after college, 4 of them in Lincoln. It's a fun town.

If passing through St. Louis, there are a lot of great places to consider. Some of my favorites are:

1. Side project cellar(mostly sours and saisons and usually on premise consumption only but you can check their website to see what they currently have)
2. Perennial Artisan Ales
3. 4 Hands

Savannah is about 2 hours north of jax. It is out of the way you have planned but the Savannah Bee Company has some great honey. A couple of years ago we bought a reserve tupelo that is insane!

@ skeezerpleezer PM sent

I will be going thru St Louis I may spend new years eve there as I don't need to be in Jacksonville till Jan 4th.

It sounds like on my return trip I should go north for a day or three. I met Ted the owner of Savannah Bee Company last year at the beekeeping convention. They source some of the finest varietal honey produced in the US.

Hey Brian, When you are in FL see if you can find a Orange Blossom Pilsner Not a super special beer But it is brewed with real orange Blossom honey. I used to supply them with it till they moved to Brewhub.

Have fun at the convention was hoping to go just wont have time.

P.S. Since you will be in FL it would be a sin not to grab anything Cigar City.

x2 on stopping by Kickbacks when you get to Jacksonville

Also, we have lots of great breweries here. Make sure to stop by the tap rooms at Intuition, Bold City and Aardwolf.

I'd suggest avoiding River City Brewing Co.

Born and raised in Jax here, x3 on Kickbacks and x2 on Intuition and Aardwolf. Grab some Jai Alai if you've never tried it, make sure to check the canning date

Back