RO System help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What info would be best to have to call in?

Water pressure
Most recent water report? "Dirtiest" season report (usually spring)?

The fact that you are on "city water" limits lots of potentially worrisome variables from the discussion. Please find out if your water supplier uses 1) chlorine, or 2) chloramines to your water as the disinfectant.

Russ

I've read where biofouling has more to do with treating waste water and/or the desalinization of salt water. In the typical home brewery application, where city water is the only water source, I don't see how biofouling would ever be an issue. Having already been filtered and treated with, chloramine or chlorine, before it enters the RO filter.

Having a TDS meter that reads total dissolved solids, on both the source inlet and the RO outlet sides of the filter, is also a worthwhile investment.

In typical home brewery application, where city water is the water source, biofouling would never be an issue.
Agreed - but I'd characterize it as "less common." We have seen it multiple times over the years.

Having a TDS meter that reads total dissolved solids, on both the source inlet and the RO outlet sides of the filter, is also a worthwhile investment.
Absolutely. Without a tds meter and a pressure gauge you are flying blind in terms of knowing how the system is working and troubleshooting any issues.

Back