White Labs to Wyeast equivalency question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stjackson

Reaction score
So, I placed an order with my HBS over the weekend and my recipe included WLP830. I usually get stuff shipped, but I was in the area for other reasons so I picked it up in-store. Anyway, they were out of that yeast, so the guy subbed me the Wyeast 2206. I did a little looking online, and I found several charts that listed 830's Wyeast equivalent as 2124. I called the HBS to ask about the discrepancy, and he assured me that, according to the chart on Mr. Malty, 830 was equal to 2206. I went to that chart and, sure enough, that's what it said. (See here)

I looked in Brewing Classic Styles and each time 830 is used, 2124 is listed as it's equal. I've looked to at least 2 other charts online as well, one of which was also on Mr. Malty, and they all agreed: WLP830 is equal to Wyeast 2124; Wyeast 2206 is equal to WLP820.

I think I'm stuck with what I have since I don't want to drive 1.5 hours to exchange it and I don't think they want to ship me yeast, especially since they believe to be right on what they gave me. How much different are these two yeasts? They are both Weihenstephan yeasts, and I've used the 820 before in an Oktoberfest. The beer I was going to use the 830 for is a Munich Helles.

Thanks for the input!

I wouldn't worry about it. While the wlp830 sub is wy2124, I actually prefer the WY2206 over the former for maltier beers. If you are indeed doing a Helles, it should make a great beer. However, it is a bit slower than many lager yeasts and does need a large starter with good oxygenation.

I remember it's very slow start from my Oktoberfest. The reviews of the yeast said it was slow, but I still wasn't prepared for how slow it would be. It was also my first lager, so I was a little more on edge than usual. I know better now how to treat it and won't worry when it takes 2 days to show visible fermentation.

Back