Leaking ball locks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluckk

Reaction score
Oops I meant to type pin-lock but titled it ball lock. Recently I have bought, from two different stores, used pin lock kegs that had problems with leaking. They held pressure inside fine and I checked my whole system with soapy water and found no leaks anywhere. I noticed though that when hooked to the system, CO2 would escape if you wiggled the gas line connector and would only hold in a single careful position. Any bumping by a hose or when closing the door and you could get a leak. I hooked the gas line to another keg and couldn't make it leak no matter how hard I tried. I even pulled the gas line off of other kegs to hook to the new ones and they too leaked if wiggled. This told me there was something about the connection on the keg. It had new o-rings that I installed properly and I used keg lube. All the other kegs work fine, but these two, no matter what I do, will not stop leaking if even slightly moved or bumped. I've already returned one to the store a few weeks ago and am taking the second one back to the other store today.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm not even sure if changing posts would work since it only happens when an airline is connected.

Here's your symptom: "CO2 would escape if you wiggled the gas line connector and would only hold in a single careful position."
Here's your problem: "It had new o-rings that I installed properly"

Unless you bought o-rings specifically recommended for pin lock posts, you most likely got generic o-rings - which are sized for ball lock posts, for whatever reason. You should not be able to easily wiggle a disconnect -and it definitely should not leak unless you have the QD positioned perfectly.

There's a sticky in this forum that lists Mcmaster-Carr o-ring part numbers specifically for pin lock posts. Change the o-rings and I bet all your leaky QDs will be history...

Cheers!

I'll check that out. However, I change the o-rings on every pin lock that I get and I use the same o-rings. Only these two have ever had this problem.

I would make sure you get pin lock specific o-rings. I don't know why but I have seen some have no leaks with the generic or ball lock orings but some leak. I think the posts might be slightly different on some.

I know you're discounting it, but trust me, this comes up frequently enough here, and every time it's undersized o-rings...

Cheers!

Back