Multi step mash in a cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommyTbar

Reaction score
Hey i have done a bit of research into multi step mashing and have preformed a few decoction mashes only for my pilsners. wanted to start preforming a protein rest on my ales to help with chill haze (just read an awesome byo article that yooper posted in a different thread on attacking chill haze). I didn't think there was a way to do this in a cooler other than a suggestion of starting with a thick mash ratio and putting almost boiling water in to raise to the next temp, i don't like this idea because it means i would have to sit at sacc longer due to the level of dilution to insure full conversion. So my thought is why not just pull a portion of thin mash (wort) bring that to a boil and add back in to achieve the next step temp, kind of like a decoction but not pulling thick mash. I have looked around and maybe this has been covered or is a commonly used practice i just haven't read any thing on it. Also this would be an easy way for other cooler mashers to step into the realm of multi step mashing with out the need to buy different equipment. Any pros or cons would be much appreciated :ban:

You would be boiling the enzymes and making the mash take even longer. That is why you decoct with the thick mash.

Really though, you can just add boiling water. Just start with a very thick protein rest.

You won't have to extend conversion time with a thinner mash.

If you want to to a protein rest (make it a short one!), then mash in with a very thick mash. 1:1 would be fine. To step up to saccrification rest, you could easily go up to 2 quarts/pound total with no issues at all if you needed that much water.

You shouldn't need to go any thinner than that, and it wouldn't increase any mash time.

For example, say you have 10 pounds of grain and you want to add a short protein rest.

You can use 12 quarts of water for the 10 pounds of grain for the protein rest, and then infuse 8 quarts more to reach the saccrification rest. Temperature wise, you'd need 8 quarts of 204 degree water to get to 152 degrees from 122, and that's certainly doable.

I don't see any problem with step infusion mashing at all for a simple two step mash.

You do NOT want to boil your runnings, because you'll denature the enzymes you need for conversion so I would definitely not recommend that!

You won't have to extend conversion time with a thinner mash.

If you want to to a protein rest (make it a short one!), then mash in with a very thick mash. 1:1 would be fine. To step up to saccrification rest, you could easily go up to 2 quarts/pound total with no issues at all if you needed that much water.

You shouldn't need to go any thinner than that, and it wouldn't increase any mash time.

For example, say you have 10 pounds of grain and you want to add a short protein rest.

You can use 12 quarts of water for the 10 pounds of grain for the protein rest, and then infuse 8 quarts more to reach the saccrification rest. Temperature wise, you'd need 8 quarts of 204 degree water to get to 152 degrees from 122, and that's certainly doable.

I don't see any problem with step infusion mashing at all for a simple two step mash.

You do NOT want to boil your runnings, because you'll denature the enzymes you need for conversion so I would definitely not recommend that!

Right on, i just read somewhere that you would have to hold it longer at sacc, thanks for the clarification. Didn't even think about the denaturing... good thing i didn't try this before asking, thanks for the insight

Hi only just joined and thought this might be useful for this thread
I have now done 4 allgrain brews using the manifold in the cooler connected to a steam generator ( ie steam wallpaper stripper ) to do the temperature steps and all have been a success .

see this thread http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=39956

It does involve a lot of stirring my set up raises by 1 degree c per minute approx .
and for a 16 litre mash only adds 2 litres of water

Back