First starter for RIS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sok454

Reaction score
I have the flask and some DME and the yeast I am going to use.

What are my next steps? And how long in advance do I do it? 1-2 days?

My RIS will be right around 1.100 OG....

I use 1 cup of DME for every 4 cups of water. 1.040 is about as high as you want to go to wake up the yeasties in a starter. They won't like the high osmotic pressure of a higher starter.

There are yeast calculators out there (just google homebrewing yeast calculator).

If you need more than a 4 cup starter, you might want to step it up over time. I haven't had any noticeable off flavors using a 4 cup starter 72 hours in advance. And I did a RIS last fall that was popular with my friends.

I found the calculator. Says I may be a bit short to right on target depending on how aggressive I am.

Think i will do it tonight and have it ready for saturday.

I've actually done a few 1.07-.08 beers with just rehydrating ss-05 and have gotten down to 1.02. Excited to try this first partial mash...

If it were me doing it, i'd start with a 1L, 24hours. Crash it for at least 12hours or so, then step up to a 2L starter. Crash it again, and step it up 1 more time to a 3L starter and crash that the day before brewday.

Then on brewday add a little boiled and cooled wort of the actual brew to another flask and wake up the crashed yeast and pitch THAT at high krausen into fresh cool wort.

Since you seem to be new with big beers, here's my advice: mash for fermentability, follow the yeast calculators pitching amounts, control your ferm temps well, and re-aerate after about 12 hours.

Good luck'

If it were me doing it, i'd start with a 1L, 24hours. Crash it for at least 12hours or so, then step up to a 2L starter. Crash it again, and step it up 1 more time to a 3L starter and crash that the day before brewday.

Then on brewday add a little boiled and cooled wort of the actual brew to another flask and wake up the crashed yeast and pitch THAT at high krausen into fresh cool wort.

+1

This is exactly what I would do as well.

So I made a 1l starter but had too much liquid. I have like 3 oz of hydrated yeast left in a measuring cup. Can I just save that and throw it in to the RIS as well as the 1l flask starter?

For making something that big, I'd make a 5-gallon batch of 1.040-1.050 beer using the same yeast you want to use on the RIS. After racking the first beer into the bottling bucket, toss the RIS wort on top on that yeast cake.

Should I have not used rehydrated yeast?

I assume you mean re-hydrated dry yeast. If so you do not need to make a starter. You can use mrmalty.com to determine how much dry yeast to use but it is my understanding that they are made to work best by NOT making a starter with them.

I assume you mean re-hydrated dry yeast. If so you do not need to make a starter. You can use mrmalty.com to determine how much dry yeast to use but it is my understanding that they are made to work best by NOT making a starter with them.

+1. Dry yeast is best hydrated in warm (95-100*F) sterile tap water. Putting it in starter wort kills a significant percentage of the cells and kind of defeats the purpose of making a starter.

If you're going to use dry yeast with a 1.100 RIS, simply pitch at least two 11g packs (rehydrated).

So I made a 1l starter but had too much liquid. I have like 3 oz of hydrated yeast left in a measuring cup. Can I just save that and throw it in to the RIS as well as the 1l flask starter?

I already responded about not making a starter with dry yeast.

To this: If you make a 1 liter starter that is 1 liter of wort with the yeast. There would be not extra liquid......

I already responded about not making a starter with dry yeast.

To this: If you make a 1 liter starter that is 1 liter of wort with the yeast. There would be not extra liquid......

Actually there would be if you added too much wort to the vessel and were not able to add all of the rehydrated yeast which is what happened in my instance.

As far as making a starter w rehydrated dry yeast I was just going by the information I had found on brewers friend.
http://www.brewersfriend.com/2009/08/19/how-to-make-a-yeast-starter-og-1040/

Back