So I tried to drink a Coors light today.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EineProsit

Reaction score
Admittedly I have never been a light beer drinker but how do they sell the stuff and how do do they legally call it beer?
I imagined the 10 gal recipie must be 1 lb of stale rice hulls and possibly some 2 row floor sweepings from the malting department.
I love my homebrew!

heh, I had one a few months ago and thought it was refreshing like lemonade...didn't seem like beer though. Just what your palate is accustomed to...

Edit: I remember thinking Dead Guy was a little on the bitter side, just had one on tap with dinner the other night, tasted like a normal Amber, no bitterness at all, must be all the DIPAs I've been into lately!

It's kinda like eating good steak for a month then having a spam sandwich. Both are definitely food, but one is better and beyond the other.

I drank Coors light for years before discovering/developing my taste for craft, but I'll still have one here and there, mainly because my local bars don't carry good beer and most of my friends drink cheap ****. When I do, I don't ***** about it too much. At least not out loud.

They are well made, just well made pieces of crap. I would love to work for them to learn how to brew though, they certainly have the technique down.

I was recently at a party where I brought some Golden Road, Mission Brewing, and Ninkasi stuff along with me... But I saw a Coors Light in the main cooler and something -- maybe it was the heat, maybe it was the sun -- just called out to me.

I drank that Coors Light and, to be perfectly honest, enjoyed it. It wasn't flavorful. But at the same time, it wasn't flawed. It was crisp, clean, and refreshing. There are a lot worse things I could have been drinking -- some of them which carry the "craft" moniker on them.

Am I going to rush out and buy a "cube" of Coors Light? Absolutely not. But at that time, and that place, it worked out really well.

every once in a while, a cheap ass can of swill is pretty tasty. i'm enjoying a stag right now.

Monday while tearing the interior out of our LeMons race car in the making, my buddy tossed me a BL. Honestly, It was exactly what I needed right then. Crisp, clean, with the level of beer-y flavor I wanted at that moment.. I do not think the situation would have done a delicious HB justice. What I needed was that light, watery drink where I could have 6 on the hot day and not be drunkenly be setting off the air bags.

I was a big CL drinker before I got into brewing. Always loved craft beer as well, but usually went for quantity over quality. I can't even remember when the last time I bought any of the "Big 3" but I will say that I will have one here and there at a bbq. Ice cold on a hot day, is like drinking flavored water and hits the spot.

The only thing I like about coors is I can drink a 6 pack and not even get a buzz. Too much hb? I used to get blasted off of that stuff....

They are well made, just well made pieces of crap. I would love to work for them to learn how to brew though, they certainly have the technique down.

Whenever I hear people defend BMC beers because they are well-made and take a lot of effort to engineer, I always think of Tommy Boy when he's selling the brake pads to the guy in the factory and they talk about the guarantee on the box:

Pardon the language if you are sensitive to such things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I drank something last night I consider worse than Coors. I had a Stella and it was disgusting. Given I had just finished one of my own lagers, but that Stella was terrible and tasted disgustingly stale.

I just had my first bud lite since I started brewing. I have to admit that a ball game that is 90+ and sunny goes really well with a bmc. I suppose that everything has its place.

As much as I don't like any of the light beers, nothing is as refreshing when you mow the grass on a hot day as coots light. Any other time I like to try every new/unusual craft beer I come across

As much as I don't like any of the light beers, nothing is as refreshing when you mow the grass on a hot day as coots light. Any other time I like to try every new/unusual craft beer I come across

Agreed. For me it's when it's a 100 out and I have an ice cold, I'm talking actual ice slush in it, PBR.

I have a BBQ every now and then. Usually get left with a case of Coors Light, maybe a Buck Skin or two. They used to just sit in the cooler till the next one, but lately when I'm out of decent beer i'll have one or two. If I was forced to choose I would go with the Coors over the other two. Not sure if its because I'm from CO or the taste... Well maybe lack of taste.

I don't mind Miller Lite on occasion. CL is even more watered down and BL genuinely makes me spit up at first taste. I can do regular Bud though no problem. Actually prefer Busch Light to the classic BMC (light) trio.

I was in my buddy's wedding last year. The morning of the wedding they had a grooms men's lunch. The offered all of the free Coors light we could drink. I instead opted for a full priced hopsecutioner. Just can't bring myself to drink that crap again ever since my college days.

I had my first Crispin Cider after last weekends mow. Man, I thought that was refreshing. I drank keystone light throughout college.

Agreed. For me it's when it's a 100 out and I have an ice cold, I'm talking actual ice slush in it, PBR.

I went to a ramen shop in Madison a couple weeks ago and the place was packed to the gills with hipsters, and, the 16 oz. PBRs were only like 2.50 or 3 bucks so I'm like, screw it, I know I've liked PBR before so may as well get a little tipsy on PBR while eating ramen. It's honestly ok, its better than ML which is what I "grew up" drinking.

I went back to my hotel and drank some 6 Point 3 Beans (wow, I just remembered how much I wish I had like a dozen cans of that for making some delicious stout brownies), and some Old Chub (two extremes, PBR to crude oil 3 beans).

McBrewskie said:

When I was playing in a band there was a bar we played in all the time where you could get a 6 pack of PBR for 5 bucks, it was my go to drink when we played because I didn't use my share of the money we made entirely on my tab. PBR is good in my book

JusBiz said:
I had my first Crispin Cider after last weekends mow. Man, I thought that was refreshing. I drank keystone light throughout college.

I'll have to try that crispin cider, I am definitely guilty of the keystone light offense too haha

I had a coors light just before my last batch of home brew was finished. Just so I could get my taste buds ready for some real beer! I do agree with what alot of you are saying about it being refreshing though; I will rarley turn down a beer if offered to me though.

I had a coors light just before my last batch of home brew was finished. Just so I could get my taste buds ready for some real beer! I do agree with what alot of you are saying about it being refreshing though; I will rarley turn down a beer if offered to me though.

Tell you what, after a double brew day and it's hot as hell in the house, a nice cold yellow piss beer taste just fine to me.

Used to be a Miller Lite Drinker, and I can't stand that stuff anymore. But, I can stand a Coors or Bud every so often as they just seem more crisp to me (which is the ONLY thing I look for in the big 3).

Used to be a Miller Lite Drinker, and I can't stand that stuff anymore. But, I can stand a Coors or Bud every so often as they just seem more crisp to me (which is the ONLY thing I look for in the big 3).

As someone else said, the nice thing about cheap beer is that you can drink the hell out of it. When my college friends and I get together for a beer they'd make fun of me because I'd only have one or two craft beers (8 to 10%). But when we all got together and drank at a game or some get together I'd drink them under the table when I resorted to drinking that swill.

Gotta admit though, on a hot summer day a bud light lime tastes pretty damn good. For whatever reason if you're going to put a lime in something you might as well get bud light lime.

Oh...I'm a nay on bringing back the hangings. I say we break out the pitchforks and torches!!

A buddy of mine who loves good craft beer and drinks the hell out of my homebrew when hes over is still a coors light drinker. He has been for ever. I dont mind it ( drank enough of his over the years) He has no clue why but its always his sandby. I dont judge the beer drinker for what he drinks but more for what he wont drink.

every once in a while, a cheap ass can of swill is pretty tasty. i'm enjoying a stag right now.

There is nothing wrong with an ice cold Stag. I use to live fairly close to the brewery and every bar around had .50 cent Stag drafts. Hell I think I had Stag in my baby bottle. Lol

Quaffman said:
I was in my buddy's wedding last year. The morning of the wedding they had a grooms men's lunch. The offered all of the free Coors light we could drink.

Did the bride know about this? Seems ballsy to offer the wedding party bottomless beers BEFORE the ceremony. Did any excitement ensue?

I still can't do the ____ Lime's. If it were real lime juice or someone dropped a lime in a BMC I would have no problem with it. It is just the margarita mix sweet lime flavor really offends my taste buds. Reminds me of my first Tequiza. Was not yet 21, my father bought a 6 on a whim, I asked what he thought about it and he let me have the first one. I finished it, but the remaining 4 sat in the fridge until they disappeared or got tossed.

no thanks. But I can still go back to a BL/Bud Heavy/other BMC at will.

I don't mind a Coors Light occasionally (plus one of my good friends tends to always have it in stock at his house), but I find it always gives me a headache before a buzz.

Back