Brew Pal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not familiar with Brewpal, but everything you need should be in the description:

All Grain Version
OG 1.060
IBU 29
SRM (color) 7.2
Alc. % 6.7

Extract Version
OG 1.060
IBU 28
SRM (color) 7.7
Alc. % 6.4

Unless it wants specific ingredients. What is it asking for, and what kit did you buy?

Well I don't know if "Extract Version" means "Partial Mash" or not. I'm still extremely new to brewing (3rd batch is this weekend). But I couldn't resist the gadgetry behind Brew Pal.
I bought the kit in the link above.

Looks like the kit comes in 2 versions. All Grain and Extract. NO partial mash.
Which one did you get? Extract has can(s) of liquid malt extract (LME) or bags of dry malt extract (DME). All Grain does not, it has "all grains."

There is probably a bag of specialty grains with it.
In the extract version you would steep them. In the AG version you mash the specialty grains with the base malts.

I see ingredients are listed, but no quantities. I guess you could weight things out, guess at their composition and plug the numbers in BrewPal, and see where that gets you.

I use BrewPal and really like it.

The link you posted doesn't show weights of ingredients, but I assume there is some specific information that actually came with the kit. Or at least I would hope so.

If you have that, then just start inputting that ingredient list. If an ingredient isn't already in BrewPal, do a quick google search to find the info (ppg and color rating). If you don't want to do that, just take a guess and get it close.

It is a really nice app once you get used to it and find all of the adjustments you can make. It lets you control just about every aspect of the recipe and calculations.

Just one thing to be wary of, if you are doing an extract with specialty grains type recipe, it will predict a higher OG than you will actually get. That is because it will calculate the specialty grains as contributing the same amount they would in a mash. But because they are just getting steeped, they won't contribute that much fermentable sugar.

Back