American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I eventually managed to get all the ingredients together and brewed this this past Wednesday. Everything went perfect; probably one of my most stress free and best brews to date. The OG was somewaht higher than the recipe, 1.062.

On Thursday morning I checked on it but no bubbling from the airlock yet. Got home on Thursday night, still nothing. This morning, no bubbling although I could definitely smell that familiar fermenting smell in the air. This evening after work I checked and still no visible bubbling. So I decided to take a gravity reading, just for ****s n giggles. I was so surprised to see it's down to 1.022. Color me confused!

The gravity sample tasted freaking awesome though.

Brew day was bang on. All numbers bang on. Only little problem was 2oz of cascade at only 6%. I'm pretty new to this gig, is the .6% diff in AA gunna throw off the flavour too much?

My beer went down to 1.006. I had the right mash temp. And OG was 1.051. Used Nottingham and fermented at 68f. Never missed my FG like that before. Any reason that might've happened?

More importantly is 1.006 that bad?

EDIT: I broke my old hydrometer when I finished this brew. Have not calibrated my new one..... maybe I'll do that before I get all bent out of shape. :S

Brewed this about a month ago. 1 week in the primary, 1 week in the secondary and 2 weeks in the bottles. Delicious! You have outdone yourself on this recipe. Gracias.

I'm brewing this today. Am I supposed to pull out hops as I'm adding in the new hops? I'm using pellets, so it would be kinda tricky.

Nope keep adding them in and try to filter them out when you transfer to the fermentor. When I add them into the boil I put them in a mesh bag to contain some of the sludge.

This was a great brew day. I brewed the extract version and everything went perfectly. Almost completely stress free. OG was 1.054. Sample tasted awesome. Thank you for the recipe Ed. Days like today are why I started home brewing.

This is only my third brew.

So I saw this recipe, it looked great, got great reviews. So I brewed it. I used Maris otter in placed of Vieenna (its what I had, so this could be why) But...in my mind I was thinking this was an ordinary IPA, some what hoppy, but not too much. Pale Ale did not register with me as NON IPA.

He, When checking for FG, I tasted it. It tasted less hoppy than it smells and is kind of pilsnery. Now I know beer out of the primary is different than a month in the bottle.

Just wondering if I'm on the right track with this beer, or if it is supposed to be more hoppy. I've read that hops flavor diminishes with age rather than increases.

I think, now, that I brewed a style that I thought was IPA, but... was something different. But, I want to be sure what I brewed was what I tasted.

I think you're on the right track. I think this beer is meant to be a catch-all for beer drinkers. BMC drinkers should like it as well as craft drinkers. Not too hoppy, but not BMC either.

It's not an IPA, it's an America Pale Ale.

10A.

Aroma: Usually moderate to strong hop aroma from dry hopping or late kettle additions of American hop varieties. A citrusy hop character is very common, but not required. Low to moderate maltiness supports the hop presentation, and may optionally show small amounts of specialty malt character (bready, toasty, biscuity). Fruity esters vary from moderate to none. No diacetyl. Dry hopping (if used) may add grassy notes, although this character should not be excessive.

Appearance: Pale golden to deep amber. Moderately large white to off-white head with good retention. Generally quite clear, although dry-hopped versions may be slightly hazy.

Flavor: Usually a moderate to high hop flavor, often showing a citrusy American hop character (although other hop varieties may be used). Low to moderately high clean malt character supports the hop presentation, and may optionally show small amounts of specialty malt character (bready, toasty, biscuity). The balance is typically towards the late hops and bitterness, but the malt presence can be substantial. Caramel flavors are usually restrained or absent. Fruity esters can be moderate to none. Moderate to high hop bitterness with a medium to dry finish. Hop flavor and bitterness often lingers into the finish. No diacetyl. Dry hopping (if used) may add grassy notes, although this character should not be excessive.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light to medium body. Carbonation moderate to high. Overall smooth finish without astringency often associated with high hopping rates.

Overall Impression: Refreshing and hoppy, yet with sufficient supporting malt.

Took the day off and doing my first all grain with the Bee Cave Haus Ale recipe. I'm about 30 mins into the mash.

Working inside our cheapo screened tent to keep tree debris out of the wort. That's why the pic is kinda grainy.

Going ok so far. Red cooler is my MLT. Blue cooler is a makeshift HLT. That's Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde keeping me company (a little cloudy because i just moved the keg). Beautiful day here in MA.

Cheers!

image-1830883523.jpg

This is a nice simple recipe that turns out perfect for the summer months, I actually had some white labs 001 california yeast still in the fridge so I popped it with this, then first wort hopped with magnum hops for bittering instead of bittering with the cascade. Turned out like a blonde.

Question: I used WLP 001that was getting kinda old, so I made a starter and used it. My OG was 1.054 and for the past two days my FG has been 1.018. Does this sound normal? Is there any way I can get it down a bit more? I made the extract version btw

Hello all. I brewed this up awhile back and is ready to drink from keg this weekend. It tastes good but it went down to 1.006FG so a little thin. Anywho i cant quite grasp why it went so low. One difference was I used a new 10 gallon pale that has a loose fitting lid. Does excess oxygen cause a higher attenuation? All mash temps and ferment temps ect were bang on so this is all I can figure might have done it?

Thanks

Brewed this recipe yesterday. Got started later than I wanted due to all my honey-do's, but all is good in the hood. Used US-05 instead of the nottingham. Thanks for the recipe Ed

I am thinking of brewing this but moving the first hop addition to 30min instead of 60. Has anyone tried this before?

idrinkstuffnthings said:
Hello all. I brewed this up awhile back and is ready to drink from keg this weekend. It tastes good but it went down to 1.006FG so a little thin. Anywho i cant quite grasp why it went so low. One difference was I used a new 10 gallon pale that has a loose fitting lid. Does excess oxygen cause a higher attenuation? All mash temps and ferment temps ect were bang on so this is all I can figure might have done it?

Thanks

Is it possible that you mashed at a low temperature?

What temperature did you ferment @?

Additionally, this may be more of a band aide than a root cause, but you could monitor the gravity and cold crash the beer when you hit your target FG. The crash could stop the yeast from dropping the gravity any further.

I would not have a loose fitting lid on a fermentation bucket. I would have a tight fitting lid with an airlock or blowoff tube into sanitizing fluid. Can't let the bad bugs in!

Thoughts

I am thinking of brewing this but moving the first hop addition to 30min instead of 60. Has anyone tried this before?

This moves IBU's down to pretty much the minimum of the style, or just out of style. 1.5 oz at 30 mins keeps you in it but you'd need to increase later additions substantially to keep it in the pale ale realm. I liked this brew because you only need a single bag of 2 oz hops which at my LHBS is how they bundle/sell their hops.

All of the above unless you don't care about styles - in which case it should be fine.

mesa4234 said:

I would say we all experiment in this hobby and that you can do whatever. It will more than likely taste great.
Sounds like you would loose some bittering properties and maybe gain more hop flavor.

mesa4234 said:

You can definitely move the hops to 30 min. And yes, it would not b nearly as bitter. You would still get the hop flavor, since most of the flavoring comes from 20 min and under. I've done that with a few beers, just not this one. If your going to do that, rather than increase the hops at 30 min. I would figure out how many IBU's you would get from that. Then just use less hops by moving the 30 min addition back to 45 min or whatever it takes to get the desired IBU's. (unless your goal is to decrease the boil time). Longer boil time with the hops = more bitterness, shorter time = more flavor (and eventually aroma). Remember, if it doesn't work out the way you hoped, you could always make it again.

I have to say, this is my favorite session recipe ever. This beer is only 10 days old (3 days on gas and gelatin) and it is just fantastic. Went over really well at a family reunion we hosted tonight. So crisp and light. It's one of those beers that almost anyone can appreciate. Great for bringing people in from the BMC crowd. Properly good recipe EdWort. This will go into rotation along with your Hefe. I think I'll try the Oktoberfest Ale next. :tank:

First taste of my batch of this after 3 weeks carbing up in bottles. Easily my best effort since my return to brewing last summer. Followed the recipe apart from using carapale instead of 10L and used WLP001. It's midsummer in Sweden tomorrow, the biggest drinking day of the year and this will be my beer of choice. There can be no greater compliment. Thanks EdWort, an epic beer.

For the life of me I don't know why it has taken me so long to get around to brewing up this recipe, Ed. However, the time is right and tomorrow is brew day. One question of interest I have on this recipe is related to head retention. How is the head retention on this recipe in its original form? Would you steer me away from mucking it up by adding a small amount of carapils or wheat for purposes of boosting head retention?

Cheers!

Finally got around to brewing this recipe... Recently switched to BIAB and still getting dialed in so my OG ended up @ 1.060 and I pitched WLP-001 and it finished @1.010 but Ive got to say,,, Of all the brews I have under my belt this one is definitely my favorite!! excellent..:tank:

For the life of me I don't know why it has taken me so long to get around to brewing up this recipe, Ed. However, the time is right and tomorrow is brew day. One question of interest I have on this recipe is related to head retention. How is the head retention on this recipe in its original form? Would you steer me away from mucking it up by adding a small amount of carapils or wheat for purposes of boosting head retention?

Cheers!

Don't know about the head retention of the original recipe.... but I did add a little carapils to the batch I made and it came out wonderful!!!

Don't know about the head retention of the original recipe.... but I did add a little carapils to the batch I made and it came out wonderful!!!

Thanks for the feedback. I went ahead and added 8 oz of carapils to the recipe and changed the crystal 10 to crystal 20 to increase the SRM. Brewing it up later this morning.

This was the first beer and maybe the best beer I've brewed. Today it became the first beer I've remade!! I did change it up and try it with Citra whole hops this time

Kudos for the delicious recipe Ed!!

:mug:

Brewed this up this morning - a good chance to try out my new brew kettle and cooler mash tun that I made last week. Got 5 gallons in the carboy with an OG of 1.050, so I think I got things pretty darn close.

I used S-05 yeast and had to use Crystal 25L but other than that I followed things as closely as possible.

Can't wait to try this one out.

Brew day went perfectly with my little bro assisting. Hit gravity numbers perfectly and only a few changes from the original recipe. Some newly installed Brew Hardware components fromm Bobby made sparging and wort transfer a breeze. Transferring to the keg tonight and will be sampling by Sunday afternoon!

New 3 piece ball valves with CamLock fittings installed on Mash Tuns
img_1672-60297.jpg

Mash out
img_0947-60459.jpg

Sparge
img_0946-60458.jpg

Back