Cleaning the Bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IL1kebeer

Reaction score
What does everyone do to clean their BIAB bag after mashing. I use hot water to rinse it and remove as much of the grains as I can, but my bag ends up smelling like grains. Is PBW or Oxiclean good? Washer and dryer? Anything else? Thanks.

I rinse mine and then throw it in the washer with oxyclean. Seems to work for me. Figure the chlorine in my tap water more then likely dissipates by the time I need the bag again.

I dump my grain out of the bag the backyard for the deer. Turn the bag inside out and give it a shake, then I drape it over the railing of my deck and hose it off and allow it to air dry. Takes little effort and the bag is reasonably clean, likely as clean or cleaner than the grain that's going in it for the next batch...save the cleaning for the cold side fermenters bottles / kegs IMHO.

I throw it in a delicates bag and then gentle cycle in the washer. Air dry.

Dump, rinse in the sink, hang to dry. I quit trying to get the last of the grain particles out. Nothing significant grows on the grain particles because they are dry before bacteria or mold have a chance to get started and if they did, the wort gets boiled so it kills them on the next batch anyway.

What the inside-out, rinse and drip dry guys said, with an additional note that the few bits of remaining grain seem to fall off as the bag dries.

What the inside-out, rinse and drip dry guys said, with an additional note that the few bits of remaining grain seem to fall off as the bag dries.

And the few stubborn bits can usually be dislodged by a good hard shake.

I'm in the inside out rinse and air dry call as well

Sent from my XT907 using Home Brew mobile app

I dump my grains then turn my bag inside out and throw it and my hop bag in the wash with oxiclean... Keeps my bag nice and clean!:mug:

I do the same. Dump the grains, and throw the bags in the front loader with some oxiclean (free) for a quick cycle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Home Brew mobile app

Latest posts

Back