Not clearing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreamyGoodness

Reaction score
After over a month in primary my Irish Red is still more a muddy brown than red, and clear as the tax code.

Should I cold crash in an icewater bath for a few days and hope for the best?

Thanks for putting up with the noob questions.

James

Did you use a low flocculation yeast? Was this PM or AG? Too fine a crush with low to medium flocculation yeast do that to me. But since I now have a grain mill,one part of the problem should be solved. Some of that stuff takes a long time to settle out.

First, this is NOT what I expect to see when I open a CG thread.

Second, I say just bottle it, let it carb, put a few in the fridge for a couple of days. I' sure it will be a nice and delicious red. Assuming of course that you plan on bottling.

My beers never look like the final SRM when its 5 gallons all together in one FV.

Did you use a low flocculation yeast? Was this PM or AG? Too fine a crush with low to medium flocculation yeast do that to me. But since I now have a grain mill,one part of the problem should be solved. Some of that stuff takes a long time to settle out.

Safale US-05 and AG. I have no problem with the idea of just leaving it alone in primary longer if that would help. I bottled my last batch that I made the same way after 3 weeks and then 3 weeks bottle conditioning only to wind up with mud-brown but tasty beer.

Creamy, I wasn't aware that you brewed beer. I thought starting entertaining threads on HBT was your hobby! :confused:

I bottled my last batch that I made the same way after 3 weeks and then 3 weeks bottle conditioning only to wind up with mud-brown but tasty beer.

pH issues in your mash can cause extra maillard reaction in your boil kettle, leaving you with darker-than-expected wort. Did you get a pH reading?

Safale US-05 and AG. I have no problem with the idea of just leaving it alone in primary longer if that would help. I bottled my last batch that I made the same way after 3 weeks and then 3 weeks bottle conditioning only to wind up with mud-brown but tasty beer.

Interesting that you bring this topic up. I have a pale ale that I kegged about 5 days ago which was fermented with 05. It was also very cloudy. It still hasn't cleared after 5 days in the fridge. I'm going to let it sit a couple weeks in there and hope for the best. I've never had that happen with 05 before. I wonder if we both bought from the same batch of yeast?! Maybe this batch of yeast has a problem or difference of some kind...

I didnt take a PH reading actually. hmmm. Is there anything to be done now? I suppose I could scare up some ph strips soon...

I didnt take a PH reading actually. hmmm. Is there anything to be done now? I suppose I could scare up some ph strips soon...

I would cold crash for 48 hours and see what happens before doing anything else. But that's just, like, my opinion man.

If it's the yeast, a cold crash for a few days will help settle it out. If it's proteins in the beer, gelatin and/or polyclar will bind with them and settle them out. I know a lot of pro brewers that will use polyclar on stubborn beers. It dissolves best at warm temperatures (around 140f) but works best in cold crashed beer as close to freezing as possible. I've also heard it pulls out yeast, so you will either need to force carbonate the beer or re-pitch some yeast in your bottling bucket if you use yeast to carb with.

I would cold crash for 48 hours and see what happens before doing anything else. But that's just, like, my opinion man.

Ok. I have one of those rolling blue coolers that I can fill with ice water and set my gallon carboy in. 48 hours from now we'll see what is what. Thanks for the 411.

You could use gelatin finings to clear it up...

+1...especially if you're gonna cold crash. You can use Knox unflavored gelatin from the grocery store.

Mix 1/2 tsp with warm water, let it "bloom" for 30 mins. Nuke for 15-30 seconds until 170ish. Add to cold beer; it'll clear in a day or two.

I used US-05 yeast in my Maori IPA,& it took a couple extra weeks to get it to finish,let alone settle out to slightly misty in my PM. It's medium flocculation,but geez. Seems slower than before...I wonder if it WAS an off batch?...:drunk:

+1...especially if you're gonna cold crash. You can use Knox unflavored gelatin from the grocery store.

Mix 1/2 tsp with warm water, let it "bloom" for 30 mins. Nuke for 15-30 seconds until 170ish. Add to cold beer; it'll clear in a day or two.

Mine's usually fully-dissolved by 150°F. I've read that going much higher than that risks denaturing the gelatin.

Back