What is the oldest car you've owned?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob_Marley

Reaction score
I mean oldest model-year.

Though my mom had a '57 Chevy that I drove ... it wasn't actually mine.

So for me, the oldest car I've owned was a 1963 Oldsmobile Super Eighty-eight Holiday Coupe.
Burgundy with white hardtop. Condition VGC overall ... near mint interior. I actually, literally bought it off an old lady who was the original owner and had garaged it after her husband passed and she started driving his car.
Had a 394 Skyrocket "Ultra High Compression" engine.
Beautiful car.

Sold it for a song in 1985. Young and stupid (I can't even go there).
Drives me to drink every time I think of it.

The only photo I have of it is a dingy old polaroid of it sitting in my driveway next to my 1971 AMC 401 Javelin which was sporting M-50's on the rear at the time. (the big tires were on the Javelin ... the Olds was completely stock). The Javalin was another car I should never have gotten rid of.
The pic's not worth digitizing and posting.

However, here are some pictures found online that are nearly identical to the Super 88 I had. ... though like I said, mine was burgundy with a white hardtop.

listing_photo_13365016323002430538.jpg

... air cleaner says "Skyrocket" and "Ultra High Compression"
10.jpg

... this interior is almost identical to mine and is the same color and condition, though my carpeting was better as it had been garage kept for so long.
8.jpg

1972 jeep wagoneer - monster v8 engine, electric rear window, high beam switch on the floor. Loved that car, stupid young me didn't love it like I should have and it threw a rod.

The oldest car was a 61 Plymouth Valiant. I owned it from 71-74 so it was 13 years old and totally rusted out. I just traded in my 1998 Chevy S10 pickup. It was new so I had it about 15 years. That would be the oldest. 2 others were about 11 model years old when I got rid of them. I owned them both for about 10 years.

‘65 Thunderbird. Hot car, especially considering it weighed 4600 lbs. Surprisingly nimble. It was a dream when everything was working. Of course when I bought it, it was twenty years old with 100K on the clock.

Anytime I went into a parts store, they all laughed. Boneyards (auto salvage), they would barely look up.

It was very memorable. I’ll never forget when the vacuum secondaries stuck. What a ride. Brakes don’t work very well when the throttle is stuck open.

The most memorable of all was when I was cruising a dark twisty windy Texas highway when the headlights went out. They reset after 20 seconds or so, and as luck would have it, I was still alive.

Plugs and points. Carburetors. I don’t miss ‘em. Cars are SO much better now.

No Seat belts. Metal dashboards. 12 MPG. What were we thinkin’ ?

I'm presently restoring a '59 Chevy panel. Here is a pic from the day I bought it.

thumb2_stuck-in-lodi-60147.jpg

The oldest before this was a '69 Ford Country Squire Wagon from high school, complete with the fake wood on the sides.

1978 MGB. Ripped out the POS 4 banger dropped in a 300hp Buick 6 cyl with 13 to 1 compression and fuel injection! Damn car could spin all 4 gears. I use to drift around Athens GA at 2 am with my cousin.... Been chased by the cops more than once and lost em always! LOVED that car.

Ahhh the days when you didn't give a rip about anything but having fun!

Cheers
Jay

I had a '49 Plymouth Deluxe Sedan. It had 75k miles on it and everything was original except the paint, tires, plug wires and battery. Headliner was trashed, but otherwise the interior was in excellent condition without a single rip in the upholstery. I don't have a pic of it on my computer anywhere though. Will try to scan one when I get a chance. Without seatbelts in it, it was kind of scary so I mainly just drove it around town to go to the bank and so on. Was going to have belts installed, but circumstances forced sale before I was able.

Oldest dependable/daily driver was my '69 Volvo P1800. Loved this car, so much fun to drive, always a head turner.

P1800 Main.jpg

P1800 Front Seats.jpg

P1800 Dash.jpg

Nice cougar.

I had a 78 ford f100 as my first vehicle. And although my last name is ford, that is the first and last ford ever. I'm (sort of) I'm the market for a 70 challenger to match my 2011.

My first car was a '65 Caddy Coupe De Ville. I loved that car, only had it for a year when I blew a head gasket and went away for college and had to sell it. I put a lot of time and money in that car, but it was an awesome first car.

I shed a little tear when I think of the cars I have owned and sold. The one I miss the most though was my first a 47 Chev pickup. That thing was a tank :D

got my license at 18 in 1981 and drove the family '69 Buick Special station wagon for 3 months before I totalled it on graduation night

53218248_pr.jpg

When I was 14, my dad and I found a 67 Camaro RS in a barn on our families property.
All it needed was tires, some new belts, a new carb, & an oil change....as well as a wash/wax.
By 16 I had saved enough money to buy a new carb & tires, and also installed a gear drive in place of the old timing chain.
It actually really scared me to drive it for about the first year and a half.

When I was in college & began partying and drinking, my dad decided it probably wasn't a good car for me to be driving around the city. He found a buyer for me, and we sold it so that I could get a more reliable, safer, & fuel efficient vehicle.

I have some photos that I should scan and upload to photobucket. I miss that car sometimes.

I shed a little tear when I think of the cars I have owned and sold. ...

And I shed a tear too that I never bothered to take photos of almost any of my vehicals.
Those from the 1960's and 70's especially. Chevelle, Dart, Comet, Two Javelins, 1971 LS-3 caprice ... the list goes on and on. I bought and sold.

A whole lot easier with digital photography nowadays. My two vehicals now ... a van and an Infiniti are not worth taking pics of.

The lesson guys, is to go out and take the photos now of what you have because it will slip your mind and eventually the car will be gone and all you'll have is memories.

1968 MGB Gt for a time.
1972 Porsche 914

Got some regular time in a 59 bug eye sprite but I did not own it.

Currently I own no older cars but I have a 1972 and a 1973 motorcycle. Looking for an early 60's truck or a 62-63 Falcon

Nice cougar.

I had a 78 ford f100 as my first vehicle. And although my last name is ford, that is the first and last ford ever. I'm (sort of) I'm the market for a 70 challenger to match my 2011.

Thanks, Fordmi! We sure like driving it, and it's fun to get looks and comments and thumbs-up from folks.

My first car was a 65 Mustang. It was a father son project that we bought when I turned fourteen. We finished it right before I turned 18, fall of my senior year.

A 63 Plymouth Golden Commando, it was 1 of 500 ever made, that car really hauled A$$, I traded it for a 71 cuda, sold the cuda before they were worth anything, bummer for me, lol

Cheers :mug:

A 63 Plymouth Golden Commando, it was 1 of 500 ever made, that car really hauled A$$, I traded it for a 71 cuda, sold the cuda before they were worth anything, bummer for me, lol

Cheers :mug:

Not to rub it in, but 71 is my favorite Cuda. If money were no issue....l