Reusing Yeast slurry from high IBU batch...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panderson1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all you help.

I heard on on a podcast (Jamil - brewstrong) earlier that he never reuses yeast slurry from high IBU beers. Something about the hop oils sticking to the cells? Idk lol I was driving....

I brewed an IPA two weeks ago and im about to use the slurry (1st generation - WL cali ale) from it tomorrow on a higher ABV/IBU beer. Any thoughts? I tried searching this. Didn't get a whole lot of results.

The slurry i got from my conical looking good.

Attachments

• 20210112_211929.jpg
    20210112_211929.jpg
    667.8 KB · Views: 9
High IBUs? or high gravity?
There is a popular opinion that re-pitching yeast from high gravity batches is sub-optimal as the yeast may have been stressed...

Cheers!

Thanks for all you help.

I heard on on a podcast (Jamil - brewstrong) earlier that he never reuses yeast slurry from high IBU beers. Something about the hop oils sticking to the cells? Idk lol I was driving....

I brewed an IPA two weeks ago and im about to use the slurry (1st generation - WL cali ale) from it tomorrow on a higher ABV/IBU beer. Any thoughts? I tried searching this. Didn't get a whole lot of results.

The slurry i got from my conical looking good.
It's actually hop resins and not oils that are responsible for bitterness. During fermentation some of those resins are lost through adsorption by yeast cells which causes the final beer's IBUs to be somewhat lower than the wort's IBUs before fermentation but I've never found anything in the literature pointing to this being an issue. Consider that with normal pitch rates yeast will multiply by a factor of 4 to 5 so you'll have up to four fifth's of the cells that are daughter cells born in the new batch that never had any contact with the first batch.

Back