Reusing 9month old Lager yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moose_MI

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
There’s history and pictures and good discussion that lead to this thread here..
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...r-harvesting-lager-yeast.676382/#post-8816606

...but to summarize I am reviving lager yeast that was “rinsed” and then stored in my fridge for 9 months. Starter took off surprisingly well after only about 18 hrs and everything seems good.

I’m now trying to determine the best thing to do next to make sure that in the end Ive got the highest quality yeast as possible to pitch when I brew in a week or 2. I’m thinking that I should probably do another round of starter ...but maybe I should be pooping off the cream while this one is active to leave old yeast behind? Maybe I let it ferment out...swirl...allow to settle again and then poor off? Maybe I’m overthinking all of this and just need to store this flask in the fridge and Use it next weekend after pouring off starter beer.

I usually do 10 or 15G batches in 3 different fermenters so I could even take a couple different approaches to see what differences they make.

Looking for suggestions as to the optimal next steps not that I know my yeast seems to have woken up in a good mood from a 9month slumber.

Here’s the starter currently...24hrs in
C8AA222C-FEAA-4286-8D83-A9C5EF9E795F.jpeg
B286D9DC-E7A6-4DF8-BD05-ABB901D38232.jpeg

I have perused the other thread as well. Personally, I have not had difficulty culturing yeast from a variety of less-than-ideal conditions. I realize that there are purists or naysayers who would deem your 9 month old yeast to be substandard. This certainly would include the lager traditionalists who seek to emulate as many pro German brewing techniques as possible.

But a pro brewery, German or otherwise, has no need to grow up months-old yeast. They are swimming in veritable tubs of beer yeast, so why bother with that? Naturally they will impose a very short time window on reuse.

In your case, I think I'd let it ferment out, clear, and then I'd see how much yeast had settled. Depending on how much you need for your upcoming brew and how much time you have, I'd then either decant and make another starter, or I'd decant and use it as is. You already have 3.5L starter there. That's pretty big.

Alternately, given enough time, once it finishes, you could shake it all up and see if the trub settles quickly and cleanly. If it does, then pour off the yeast-laden liquid into a fresh container and allow only that to settle. Then decant before use.

I was able to culture the elusive Samuel Smith yeast from a six year old bottle of their Stingo old ale. I grew it in a 100 mL starter, then bumped up several times til I had a full liter. So 9 months is really no big deal!

Thank you for the feedback. Those are the 2 options I was considering as well. Personally, I’ve always had good results after a starter that performed well in terms of what one can observe with the eye. I’ve never given much thought to any marginal/stressed yeast that might remain in the post-starter slurry and go into the new beer to be fermented.

Is that a thing?

I’d also be curious on folks thoughts on my current cell count. There may be no point to asking this but I’m still curious.

So I’ve decided I’m just going to let this crash in the fridge and pitch it into a 5G Vienna Lager this weekend. Ive never brewed a Vienna lager..not sure Ive even had one. Ive got a recipe from AHA I think I’ll go with.

Cheers!

Update: The lagger was yummy.

I’m now doing a 4L starter w/ 4 month old Nottingham...it’s a lot less energetic than the 9 month old lager yeast was. It was 36 hours before it began to show some life. It’s now at 60hrs and it’s fermenting steadily but no significant krausen.

I’m going to let it ferment out, crash, decant, and pitch into a 15G 1.065 IPA batch this weekend. Not convinced I have proper cell count but I have no idea. Not convinced it will matter assuming I will have yeast with high viability and vitality now. It’s an IPA so as long as any off flavors are moderate I may never even perceive them.

I could pitch slurry into 10G and pitch fresh into 5G but I really want to go for the win and do all 15G.

Cheers!

The 4month old Notty had a pretty normal fermentation...FG 1.014 which was predicted based on recipe. Gravity sample tasted good...nothing that makes me overly concerned

So the IPA did not turn out as planned. FG was as expected but the beer was not at all what I expected. I drank 2 kegs of it and a friend tooK the 3rd and enjoys it but I know it’s not right....not even close...way off from an ipa. I had some old hops (2017) and I seriously wonder if I accidentally used some munic instead of 10L.
Anyway, I saved the slurry from the IPA and 3days later I pitched into a blonde ale With a lot of Hallertau and Fuggles. The blonde is good but it’s got a tartness..sort of lemony flavor that i really cant Attribute to the hops soooo....I think Ive picked up a little bit of a bug. The blonde (almost a sour..in a good way) is much easier for me drink then the IPA was...but I know it’s got some unexpected funk.
So today I cleaned out the beer lines, got fresh Notty, and got fresh hops. I’m going to do the IPA again and then the blonde again.
Curious to see how I feel about these beers after a yeast (and hops) reset

Brew on!

Yep...I’m drinking that blonde now..already killed 1 keg..Imnot going to have any trouble with this beer...in fact in some circles this beer would be very very well received.

My fresh Notty is blowig krausen through the air lock of the 1.070 IPA I brewed Sunday....I love beer

Back