Retired in Kentucky

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomthacker

Reaction score
Hi, I've been a member here since 2006 or so, but life happens. I used to brew some with a Mr. Beer kit and never seemed to graduate from that. Now that I'm retired and have more time I got a five gallons bucket set-up and I just opened my first bottle of Block Party Amber (Northern Brewer Kit). I have a couple more kits ready, but I'm hoping into getting into working from recipes. If anyone knows a simple recipe to try (extract, for now) I'd love to hear it. I know a little, I hope I can add to the conversation.

I know lots of people make extract beer that's pretty good, but I detect an extract flavor when I've tried to use it.
My 2 cents: Get a BIAB bag and make simple stovetop small batches.
Basically you heat the water in your pot, (use strike water calculator) add the grains with a bag, wrap it up with an old sweatshirt or coat and go do something else for a few hours, come back and stir it up, dunk it a few times, then pull out the bag and start boiling and add your hops. You can make it way more complicated than that or keep it simple.
Check out the Basic Brewing and Brulosophy podcast . Basic brewing has some simple, easy recipes with only a few ingredients. Also Brulosophy has a series of beers called "short and shoddy". I've tried some of those recipes and the beer comes out tasty and its pretty easy.
Keep a brewing notebook and after 10 or so brews the whole process will seem simple, which it is.
:mug:

I just brewed an extract, stove top IPA and it's carbing up now. I'm away from home now but will share the recipe I used when I get back. It was pretty simple.

You can find lots of recipes in the Homebrewtalk Recipe Database, organized by style. Some will have extract versions, but if you see one you like, many can be converted to extract - just ask.

The one, pretty big, disadvantage of extract brewing is the cost of extract. But hey, what else are you going to spend it on? LOL.

Welcome from Missouri, neighbor. For additional resources try, online at Brewer's Friend, or pick up Ray Daniels book, Designing Great Beers. Good luck and keep us posted of your progress.

Back