Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KneeHighBrewery

Reaction score
So I think my saison is infected

Thoughts? Condolences?

image-3868268976.jpg

image-449705468.jpg

Yeah, I will second that you're good. If it grows into a thin, white, nasty looking film then maybe. But I think it's just fine! :mug:

We all get there at some point I think. Fermentation always seems to look a little different each time and sometimes I'm still like "hmmm...this doesn't look good." Yet it always is! The only infection I've ever had actually wasn't even visible.

Looks like yeast rafts to me,maybe mixed with a lil cold break. I always thought cold break looked like wet popcorn...

These threads always get the usual "you're good, don't worry" and 90% of the time that is true, but the second picture definitely could be mold. One more (better) close-up pic would be helpful. How long has it been in the carboy? In general if it is floating and hairy, that is mold.

A little over a week.

A week? Then you're probably good. Mold usually doesn't show up until extended aging times. Odds are it's just yeast. Mold is pretty easy to identify though, looks just like the stuff that grows on food in your frig. White, chunky and hairy, like most of the brewers here:D

I got something that is white and chunky but not particularly hairy... Hey! You know what this forum could use? A bunch of scary creepy but utterly normal photos of yeast rafts.

All my other brews have had *huge* foamy krausen rafts that affected what my opinion what yeast rafts should look like so that in this one very different brew when I saw two well formed rectangular yeast rafts lurking in the corner looking very much like sinister white slime molds, I kind of freaked out.

Back