brew in a bag technique??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vwwvgolf

Reaction score
hello all,

i brew in a bag, and after mashing i set the bag on a grill over my fermenting bin and let it all drip out till nothings coming out.

i then batch sparge, and will do the same thing with letting the bag drip to get as much sugars out as possible.

question is, could i leave the sparge bag to drip over the boiler, whilst boiling up with the hops? im thinking would the water vapour rising up from the boil hit the mash in the bag and help rinse out any remaining sugars, increasing my efficiency???

any views on this would be great

thanks

Doubt it. Squeeze the bag. Depending on who you listen to you'll either end up with greater efficiency or better volume. I don't think the steam would get into the bag far enough to wash anything out.

After draining the bag, then rinsing a bit I think you are pretty well rinsed. I don't think steaming the bag would gain much if any additional wort.

While disposing of my spent grain yesterday, I tasted a little bit and was surprised there didn't seem to be much if any sweetness, therefore the grain was "spent".

The steam probably wont help you any. I usually squeeze the hell out of the bag then rinse the grains until I get my boil volume. It gets hard holding the bag over the pot while rinsing but if you can hang the bag over your pot then you should be ok to hang, squeeze, rinse, squeeze.

okay thanks for the replys guys. just thought i would throw it out there and see what people thought haha.

just seen there is a BIAB section, should have posted in there!

thanks again

Back