Resurgence in homebrewing due to current events?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’d always had the idea from my earliest days of brewing to try to brew what I can’t easily buy. There’s no Timothy Taylor Landlord for sale near me. Nor many other British beers.

I never wanted to compete with AB or any other brewery to brew what they brew and try to make it for less. I can’t and I can’t.

That said it does pay to brew the higher gravity stuff yourself if that is what you like to drink. You can brew 5 gallons of barleywine for probably less than the cost of a case of Bigfoot, etc. Or trying to make something similar to the beers Founders sells in 4 packs. And I’m not even going to talk about the price of one bottle of Bourbon County.
Off subject but do you a have a good clone for Timothy Taylor's as it's my brother in law's favourite beer and I want to make it for his bday. I use dry yeast what the best dry yeast for the job? Nottingham?

casually removing two beers and selling $9.99 four packs

Grrr, I just noticed this the other day. Stopped in to pick up an IPA 6 pk as I was out at home, pulled one off the shelf and there was only 4 12oz cans! Put it back and grabbed a local brew that hasn't yet upped their price.

Wow 2.50 per can. Pretty easy to beat that cost making my own... even with some additional equipment... wink wink nudge nudge

Grrr, I just noticed this the other day. Stopped in to pick up an IPA 6 pk as I was out at home, pulled one off the shelf and there was only 4 12oz cans! Put it back and grabbed a local brew that hasn't yet upped their price.

Wow 2.50 per can. Pretty easy to beat that cost making my own... even with some additional equipment... wink wink nudge nudge

They call that shrinkflation. Might affect you in ways you won't notice.... yikes.

Charmin's ultra soft toilet paper 18-count mega package now contains 244 two-ply sheets, down from a previous 264 double-ply sheets per roll. And super mega rolls of the brand now display 366 sheets versus a previous 396 sheets per roll.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/08/business/toilet-paper-roll-shrinking-inflation/index.html

Was it more than $2/lb for grain? That's shockingly high!
Between the 4 varieties I purchased, the average price was $2.65/lb. I brewed this same recipe 2 years ago and it was half the price then. FWIW, the ingredients came from MoreBeer. I priced compared the recipe with three other vendors and MoreBeer was the best deal. I would buy in bulk, but lack the ability to store grains in my house, so am forced to buy for each individual recipe.

Back