First Saison brew. Looking for recipe ideas.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erc139

Reaction score
I am looking for some Saison ideas if anyone would like to share. Wicked Weed in Asheville NC has a habanero and peach Saison that looks interesting.

Typical grist looks like this:

80% Pils Malt
10% Munich 10L
10% Wheat Malt

You can play around with hops and other ingredients as much as you like. I would highly recommend using Wyeast 3711 French Saison, as it is not finnicky about ferm temps at all- you can go high, you can go low.

Typical grist looks like this:

80% Pils Malt
10% Munich 10L
10% Wheat Malt

You can play around with hops and other ingredients as much as you like. I would highly recommend using Wyeast 3711 French Saison, as it is not finnicky about ferm temps at all- you can go high, you can go low.

That is a very good starting point for a Saison. I like to keep them simple. If I want a very dry saison I often add some sugar.

Shoot for a BU:GU ratio of .49. Saisons are more about the yeast, so do not overdo the hops. You can go the more traditional route and use noble hops, or you can go the other route and use non-traditional hops. I recently did one with Nelson Sauvin that was fantastic.

I second the use of 3711 for your first saison. Great yeast that works in a wide temperature range, and always finishes low.

Big fan of the 3711 French....Using it again today! I also like coriander and bitter orange peel in my Saison's

I just did one that was based on Session Saison I used no acid malt and Bell Saison yeast. Right now I am listening to my airlock bubbling and hissing away. I am looking forward to the results. Something light for those hot summer days in Central Va.

I just did one based on the cottage house saison.

Try flaked spelt. I tried a variety of saisons and the one I like best (new holland golden cap) is the only one that used spelt instead of regular wheat. I feel like a lot of saisons are a bit watery and not as spicy as they need to be. New holland golden cap had the most contrast in flavor from beginning to end in that it has a really twangy, funky start, but finishes really sweet. Someone else described it better...it assaults your taste buds, and then comes back to apoligize.

Saisons are so good once they start to warm up a bit. You only get the bitter/spiciness when they're cold, but once they're warm, the sweetness comes out, almost a plum flavored sweetness. I hope this recipe replicates that with the black pepper and spelt for grassy spiciness, and I'm hoping that adding 1lb of honey will add the sweetness that I'm looking for as well as dry it out a bit. I even tried to get both sides of flavor with the hops. Nelson sauvin, like most new zealand hops are known for their tripical fruit flavor, and crystal hops are known for their spiciness. Maybe I should've used crystal as bittering and nelson for the late additions.

Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 3.5 gallons
Efficiency: 67% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.056
Final Gravity: 1.011
ABV (standard): 5.85%
IBU (tinseth): 30.47
SRM (morey): 5.8

MASH:
2 lb - Belgian - Pilsner
1 lb - German - Red Wheat
1 lb - German - Flaked Spelt
8 oz - German - CaraMunich

FERMENTABLES:
3 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Extra Light - (late addition)
1 lb - Honey - (primary)

HOPS:
0.25 oz - Nelson Sauvin for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
0.5 oz - Crystal for 15 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
0.25 oz - Nelson Sauvin for 15 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
0.5 oz - Crystal for 5 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
0.25 oz - Nelson Sauvin for 5 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil

MASH STEPS:
1) Infusion, Temp: 152 F, Time: 90 min, Amount: 6.5 qt

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 tsp - Black Pepper, Time: 5 min, Type: Spice, Use: Boil

YEAST: