Restarted fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trentar

Reaction score
This Sunday at noon I have dry-hoped my Pilsner, which was in the fermentor for a month, meaning the fermentation was completely over. I have dropped in 33 g (1,16 oz) of Czech Saaz in 19 liters (5 gallons) of beer and since there was no more fermentation, I have added 20 g (0,71 oz) boiled with a cup of water in the fermentor with the dry-hops, just to push induced oxygen out. The bubbling in the airlock restarted vigorously after just half hour. I have first thought that this is because of that extra sugar, however now after almost three days, I still hear a bubble every 5 min or so... I am planning to bottle tommorow, if the final gravity will be the same as on Sunday ... I dont know why extra gas is forming, maybe because of the dry hops, but I am concernced that I risk bottle bombs... I plan to rack it onto primary sugar in another bottling bucket and then in the bottles. What do you guys think?

The addition of the dry hops and movement of the fermenter has more than likely caused the co2 bubbles trapped in the trub to start to escape. Also the hops themselves do have some sugars present but not enough to prolong the fermentation for long. A moderate gravity Pilsner is done after a month, I have not bottled in over 25 years but I think you are ok to bottle.

Hops can cause a restart in fermentation, and the small amount of sugar you added definitely would. I wouldn't be too concerned one way or the other - could even just be a change in ambient temp.

Back