Segmented Brew Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pogolounge

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Getting long chunks of time for brewing is becoming more of a challenge every day. Yesterday I tried something new and couldn't find much info on potential wort impact. In the morning I performed my mash as usual, sparged and collected everything into BK. But didn't have time to boil and transfer. So I set my system to hold 170 F in the BK, sealed the lid on (with a vent of course) and left. I came back 5 hours later, cranked up the BK and finished the brew. Everything seemed to be fine, just wonder if there is any negative impact to the wort characteristics with this method....sure makes my brew schedule easier. Thanks.

I'm no pro, but it seems to me that if you're not mash hopping or first-wort hopping there should be no problem other than a bit of evaporative loss. I'm wondering why you'd bother keeping it actively heated at all. Even if you got some airborne organisms in there, they wouldn't multiply much over 5 hours, and if you can put a lid on it that's even better. But anything living will die in the boil anyway.

Holding at 170F is smart IMO...especially since it doesn't sound like you're doing a mash-out. I don't see any issue w/ this, but somebody smarter pls correct me if I'm overlooking something.

Thanks, I couldn't come up with a reason why it would be bad either.... just regular home brewer paranoia and needed some reassurance.

I've seen mention in Don Osborn videos that he'll mash in collect wort in the evening, then leave it covered until he starts the boil in the morning. Going to try it, but haven't had to yet.

Back