MicroMatic premium regulator leaking even after refurb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nostalgia

Reaction score
I have this premium regulator battery from MicroMatic. I just replaced my 20# CO2 tank a few weeks ago, and it was dead again this week.

It turns out the outboard regulator is leaking through the hole that's just under the knob that changes the pressure. It's where gas comes out when you back the pressure off with the knob. I can hear gas slowly escaping all the time. I know it's coming from that specific hole because it stops when I put my finger over it. The other regulator does not leak at all.

So I bought the MM6400-P complete repair kit, a new fiber washer, and replaced every part inside it except for the small spring at the back.

It's still leaking in the exact same way.

What else could possibly be the problem? I've now spent $30 on parts, $30 on gas. It'd have been cheaper to buy a new regulator.

I called MicroMatic, and they had no idea. The lady I spoke to is having someone else call me back tomorrow. I need to carb beer for a party, so I'd like to fix it asap.

I would swap all the parts From the other good regulator and see if it still leaks.

Now it's a matter of principle. I'm really curious where the problem is, even if I am going to buy a new reg.

Micromatic's tech support said they have no idea: try cleaning it. So I took everything out, cleaned it top to bottom, put it back together, no dice. There doesn't appear to be any wear--everything is still shiny and chrome--so I started some troubleshooting.

I took out the diaphragm and just left the internal parts, then turned the gas on. No leaks.

reg_open.jpg

When I press on the needle in the center, gas comes out, then stops when I let it go. So all of that is fine.

When I put the diaphragm back in and thread the body together, still holds pressure. Then when I dial the center knob in and pressurize the body (I used my normal 12psi), it leaks from the same hole:

reg_hole.jpg

I assume the problem can only be in the diaphragm, or the diaphragm seat. I tried the 3 different diaphragms I have, and all leak the same way.

Very strange.

-Joe

So I have the same regulator and same exact leak. I did the same thing and bought a new diaphragm took it apart and put back together several times. To no avail I still had gas leaking through that stupid vent hole. Finally took it apart one last time and dissemble the center piece that that little pin pushes into there was a blue rubber seal with residue build up on it cleaned it put it back together and now have no leaks. Hope this helps anyone having this issue.

Back