Citra hopburst with Marris Otter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrodder

Reaction score
So, I am looking to do a brew with some of the existing 5 oz of citra I have in the freezer. Thought maybe a SMaSH is in order. 14lbs of Marris Otter, and hopbursting 2.5 oz of Citra from 20 minutes on to flameout. I would like to shoot for a citrusy sweet beer.

Rough calc in beersmith says I would be at 32 IBUs if I did .5 from 20 mins to flameout, in 5 minute increments. (I know that's not a burst but I don't know how better to calc it)

In my experience, the Citra doesn't make for a good bittering 60 minute hop, it's a bit overpowering. It also seems to pack more punch than the 14 AA would suggest.

What say you, regarding my target profile and the use of all late addition Citra?

Would you also dry hop with some of the citra? To me it would be a waste not to? IT s not what you are doing but I make a citra pale ale that I use 1 oz of cascade to bitter and then .5 oz of citra at 15 min .5 citra at 5 min 1 oz citra at 1 min and dry hop with 1.5 oz citra. It turns out great. The grain is 2 row ictory and some crystal 15 so it is kind of simmilar.

What's your OG on your recipe? Most people head for balance between malt and hop, sometimes matching IBU with OG. I was shooting for half, 1.077 OG and ~32 IBU. Dryhop, yeah maybe. I have 5 ounces left, so I was hoping to get two brews out of it if this experiment turned out ok. (money is tightening up, and SWMBO is close to grumbling)

Remember, for every SWMBO there is a HWHNS (he who has no spine)!!!

I got an og of 1.055 and a fg of 1.006 beersmith shows 37.4 IBUs

Yeah, oops. I didn't post the correct numbers there. I was more looking at 14lbs of MO, and 2 lbs of honey, before calcing the extra grain for BIAB. That gives me 1.07 and 34ish IBUs. I gues what I was essentially asking was that the IBUs *taste* higher when using Citra in my short experience, and I was asking if anyone else felt the same. :)

I just tasted my first Citra dry-hopped beer and it is just awesome. 14lbs of 2 row, 1 lb 20l Crystal, 1.75oz of Magnum 60 min boil, 3 oz of Centennial at 30,10 and flameout and 2oz of Citra dry hop. OG 1.070 and FG of 1.012 with Wyeast 1056. I didn't believe the FG myself so I took another reading after the 2 weeks of dry hopping and it was the same. I expected 1.018. A large starter helps I guess.

This is one tasty and potent beer.

I find that the citra gives a lot of flavor and aroma without being oerly bitter. But I have never used it for bittering.

Right, which is why I was thinking about doing it all with late hop additions, nothing at 60. Just burst the 2.5 from maybe 20 minutes to flameout. Thoughts on that?

I just tasted my first Citra dry-hopped beer and it is just awesome. 14lbs of 2 row, 1 lb 20l Crystal, 1.75oz of Magnum 60 min boil, 3 oz of Centennial at 30,10 and flameout and 2oz of Citra dry hop. OG 1.070 and FG of 1.012 with Wyeast 1056. I didn't believe the FG myself so I took another reading after the 2 weeks of dry hopping and it was the same. I expected 1.018. A large starter helps I guess.

This is one tasty and potent beer.

Is that 3 oz of centennial with 1oz at 30, 1oz at 10, and 1 at flameout?

Dredging this up while I am thinking about my next brew.

So, I found out that the issue with my harshness when using Citra wasn't because of the hop, it was more because of my water profile. Highly alkaline. I had several (extract) pales that just weren't good, and my last brew (BIAB AG) was a heavy chocolate porter, and it came out great.

I think I am going to try a Marris Otter / Citra brew, but using the proper water and see what happens with my harshness. I'll make a new post with recipe and taste results when I do!

Back