Forgot to add Whirlfloc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waitej02

Reaction score
Brewed a pale ale 2 weeks ago and I forgot to add whirlfloc. I racked to secondary yesterday to dry hop, and it is milky. Any thing that I can do at this point? Next weekend I will rack to the bottling buckat and put in the fridge for a cold break, but I am not optimistic.

If you can, cold crash it for 2-3 days before you bottle it. Bring it down to 32-33 degrees..... That will definitely help clear it up.

You could add gelatin finings at this point and they should clear it up pretty well, from what I've read on AHS's website description, as well as numerous brewers here on HBT. I've never personally used them (I've only ever used Irish moss), but I'm pretty certain they are meant to be used post-fermentation to clear hazy beer or wine, as opposed to whirlfloc or Irish moss, which are used during the boil. They should be available at your LHBS or you could always order some from any online vendor.

As long as your hazy beer isn't due to some infection or something, to me it's just aesthetics. But if you really want it clear, I think finings would be the way to go at this point.

Brewed a pale ale 2 weeks ago and I forgot to add whirlfloc. I racked to secondary yesterday to dry hop, and it is milky. Any thing that I can do at this point? Next weekend I will rack to the bottling buckat and put in the fridge for a cold break, but I am not optimistic.

we don't know why it's milky but it may be some trub and yeast stirred up when you racked to the other vessel, that's the best case scenario. a week (or more) in the low 30s will clear up most beers but time at any temperature will clear up a beer, my sours (which never see whirlfloc or any other finings) sit for a year at room temp and are crystal clear without any cold crashing at all.

If you have the equipment with which to do so, by all means cold crash it in the mid-30's 4-5 days before priming/bottling. If priming it cold, be sure to give it a bit of gentle stirring with a sanitized plastic spoon to evenly distribute the sugar.

I use gelatin on some of my kegged beers, but not on what I bottle since my beer tends to be pretty darn clear anyway. If you're going to gel a bottling batch, you'll want to do it about 7 days prior to bottling so that the gelatin has the chance to settle to the bottom.

Back