Adding gypsum to the keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thood6

Reaction score
My IPA is just getting carved up and tastes smooth and hoppy but lacks the crisp bitterness I'm looking for. I used distilled water, lactic acid and calcium chloride but no sulfates. So I was thinking about dosing gypsum per glass and scaling up to the keg.

Anyone done this? What do y'all think?

I would just live with it. The sulphate acts on the hop compounds during the boil so I don't think it will have much effect at this point other than increasing the mineral flavors.

I would just live with it. The sulphate acts on the hop compounds during the boil so I don't think it will have much effect at this point other than increasing the mineral flavors.

Maybe. But if you want to see if it'd work for you, you could pour a pint and then stir in some gypsum (a tiny bit) and see what you think.

I'm not a big fan of high-sulfate beers, including IPAs, but maybe you'll find that it makes the difference you're looking for.

Back