protein rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nolabrew85

Reaction score
I have read that protein rest is only for low to moderately modified malts and not fully-modified malts, and, in fact, such a rest is undesirable for fully modified malts. So my question is, if I am making a beer with something like 70% Pilsner or Am 2-row and 30% white wheat, do I add the white wheat by itself to the mash tun first for the protein rest and then add the remaining pilsner after the protein rest; OR do i still add all of it at the same time? thanks!

I have read that protein rest is only for low to moderately modified malts and not fully-modified malts, and, in fact, such a rest is undesirable for fully modified malts. So my question is, if I am making a beer with something like 70% Pilsner or Am 2-row and 30% white wheat, do I add the white wheat by itself to the mash tun first for the protein rest and then add the remaining pilsner after the protein rest; OR do i still add all of it at the same time? thanks!

With that grist you don't need to do a p rest at all.

The proportion was just an example; it does not matter so much as the general question that if you have some malts that would benefit from a protein rest and others that would not, do you still just do the protein rest with all of the malt or just with the malts that would benefit and add the remainder later?

The proportion was just an example; it does not matter so much as the general question that if you have some malts that would benefit from a protein rest and others that would not, do you still just do the protein rest with all of the malt or just with the malts that would benefit and add the remainder later?

I mash them all- and either do an infusion for the step, or in the case of German lagers, do a decoction.

If you choose to do a protein rest, make it a very short one!

Yes, you'd do them all together. IMO, it is almost never necessary to do a p rest.

And make it at 131, not 122.

Oh, yes! Good point!

I actually do a very very short one at 133, if I'm doing one.

"Shorter and higher" is my motto for a protein rest, instead of a longer one at 122.

If I'm decocting to the next step, I pull the decoction immediately, so that I don't stay at 133 for more than about 15-20 minutes ideally. If I'm infusing, it's 15 minutes and then the infusion.

Back